Talk

Advanced search

18 month old fear of water

(7 Posts)
cocoaGOLDchannel Sat 29-Sep-12 20:22:22

DD seems to have developed a fear of water. For about three months she has refused to sit in the bath, and screams whilst I wash her. We went on holiday last week and she wouldn't go in the pool (although would play in the edge on the kids' pool by the end of the week) and was terrified to be close to the sea.

We have had no slips or falls, I've tried bathing with her, games, music, toys, changing the time of her bath...but no breakthroughs.

She went to baby swimming but I now work full time (she developed this fear long after I returned to work do the two are not related) and regular swimming is difficult.

She loves water play at nursery and fine washing her hands, face, teeth etc.

Any tips would be very gratefully received.

cocoaGOLDchannel Sat 29-Sep-12 20:23:11

too close to the sea blush

cocoaGOLDchannel Sat 29-Sep-12 20:23:55

No, I was right. Sorry- very, very tired!!

charlmills Sat 29-Sep-12 22:02:14

My dd did this at probably exactly the same age as yours. It went on for a while and I couldn't think of anything that could have triggered it. It did pass though. She is still v nervous in the swimming pool (she's 3 now) but went swimming in the sea on holiday this year.sorry no advice really but We just battled through really and made bathtime as quick as poss.

brightonbleach Sun 30-Sep-12 09:17:14

in the bath we found a 'swivel safety seat' to be brilliant (tenner at asda), it suckers to the bottom of the bath and they can sit and play in the bath in it and you can safely wash their hair etc with no fear of falling or going under, which seems to be a common fear at this age. mine was terrified of water for a while, especially the bath, at the same age and when we got this seat it quickly passed. hes coming up to 3 now and would happily splash for an hour in the bath including laying down and shouting that hes swimming!! smile

cocoaGOLDchannel Sun 30-Sep-12 17:48:48

Thank you both!

LittlePandaBear Mon 01-Oct-12 21:07:21

My DD was like this from about 15 months and she's now 23 months. She does like her bath now but she won't sit down in it, despite sitting in the paddling pool on holiday in the Summer! She just bends down to play with her toys and I chuck water all over her!

One thing that helped is getting a non slip bath mat, I think she feels much more secure with this. Maybe find whatever she plays with at nursery ie watering can and bring this into the bath too?

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now