Talk

Advanced search

15 month banging head

(5 Posts)
F1rstT1meMummy Sat 29-Sep-12 15:37:02

This morning my dd who is 15 months was very agitated and was banging her head, in what appears like a tantrum on anything, including the tiled kitchen floor. She did it a few times yesterday too
I gave her some calpol wondering if she had a headache and it seems to have sorted we out.
But my question is whether I should just ignore her banging her head or try to stop her. I dot know whether she does it to get attention?

ImpYCelyn Sat 29-Sep-12 15:46:38

DS1 went through a phase of doing this when he was angry/frustrated. I tried to stop him, and he would just look at me and do it more. So I ignored it completely and he gave up.

Every now and then he does it as part of a tantrum, or hits himself, but I can see him watching me as he does it. And he only tries it the once when he gets nowhere.

I would try stopping her and see how she reacts. If it works, super; if not, try ignoring instead.

scrivette Sun 30-Sep-12 19:16:20

My 15 month old has just started this too and he sometimes hits his head with his hands if he is having a tantrum, I try to distract him or let him get on with it, depending on the situation.

IWroteToTheZoo Sun 30-Sep-12 19:58:51

Mine did this too at around that age. I also found that completely ignoring worked - once I started doing that it stopped happening almost immediately. It feels awful, as your first instinct is to rush over and stop them hurting themselves, but it did work very quickly.

I also found that recognising the signs that he was about to do it (angry or frustrated crying then leaning forward with his head close to the floor) and intervening before it happened by giving him attention or moving him was also a good technique.

minceorotherwise Sun 30-Sep-12 20:02:50

Get her ears checked to rule out ear infection. My DS used to do this and it turned out it was the pain from glue ear that was making him do this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now