Talk

Advanced search

18 month old biting

(2 Posts)
fermy Fri 28-Sep-12 22:47:39

Advise needed please! My 18 month old DS has started biting his big brother who is 3 and a half, myself, DH and his grandparents. He generally does it when he can't have his own way or when his big brother won't let him have something or takes something off of him. I just don't know how to disipline him properly. He's always been fiesty with a big of a temper. But I hate the thought of him biting another child at play group ect.
We started putting him in his high chair and moving it into the middle of the kitchen as a sort of time out as we think he is too young for the naughty step. But it doesn't really have much of an effect. Any advise would be very welcome.

lorisparkle Fri 28-Sep-12 23:31:08

At this age I would say in a firm tone 'we do not bite', then pick him up, put him away from everyone else, turn around and carry on doing something nice without him. When he returns to you respond to him normally and move on.

To prevent the biting I would work with your older son on the best way to deal with your younger DS. I would also give you DS lots of praise when he behaves nicely and encourage kind and gentle behaviour. I have found that the naughty step has not worked with any of my DS until they are at least 3 but other people say differently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now