Talk

Advanced search

Too old for cot?

(20 Posts)
floppops Fri 28-Sep-12 20:04:10

My DD is 2.8 and still in a sleepy bag and her cot. She has never shown any interest in climbing out but I guess it is quite difficult in the sleepy bag. She has always liked her cot until last week. She has started not wanting her nap in the afternoon and keeps wanting to climb into my bed-in the day- sort of pretend sleeping not actual sleeping.
So I'm thinking does she need to change from the cot? Should I take the side off and see? Not brilliantly looking forward to being banged on the head at all hours! She is an early riser and screams for me to get her, but will she now come and get me in the night?
I have found a sleepy bag with legs that will help her with the transition but I'm too worried to put her in that till i take the side off the cot in case she climbs out and hurts herself.
How do you know when is the right time?

amck5700 Fri 28-Sep-12 20:09:06

mine were climbers so were in a toddler bed from about 16 months. I just made sure their rooms were safe and put a stair gate on the bedroom door and left them to it.

usernametaken Fri 28-Sep-12 20:38:56

DD moved to a bed at 3.2yrs...she asked to move as she banging the sides of the cot.
DS moved at 20 months...he just looked cramped and kept bumping his head on the bars all night long.
If she's happy where she is, keep her in the cot, there's no rush.

Ra88 Fri 28-Sep-12 20:41:07

I think perhaps you should remove the sides and are how she gets on . The transition from cot to a "big bed " is a big step for a child and I think it helps with their independence and growing up , she does sound quite old to be in a cot , perhaps you could get a bed guard on the cot to make her still feel secure

ConstantCraving Fri 28-Sep-12 21:01:02

DD 2.10 is still in her cot. She's out of her sleeping bag now as she asked for a duvet - which was a big step for her as she's not one for change! We'll probably take the sides off in the next few months. No rush.

beanandspud Fri 28-Sep-12 23:36:06

DS stayed in his cot (and Gro-bag) until about 2.8 years and he was quite big for his age. At 2.8 he went into a cot bed and then into a proper bed around 4yrs so much later than other children we knew.

However he dropped his daytime nap at around 2.5 and since then I can count on one hand the number of times he has slept during the day (even when flying or travelling until quite late at night). He has regularly slept 7-7 every night though.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that your DD might be too old for the cot but equally might be trying to drop the daytime nap?

Species8472 Sat 29-Sep-12 10:50:31

DD is still in a cot at 3.2. Some days she says that she wants a 'big girl bed, a Hello Kitty one', other days she insists that she wants to stay in her cot....I guess we'll have to bite the bullet soon and do it....don't have any friends who still have their DCs in a cot....

floppops Sat 29-Sep-12 11:54:11

Yes beanandspud I think she is dropping her nap-hasn't had one all last week. But she still only sleeps for 10 hours at night..from 7/8 to 5/6- yawn..
Seems there is a lot of transition at the moment.

MummyPig24 Sat 29-Sep-12 12:42:58

You could try and if its not working you could put the sides back on. I had to force ds out at 2.9 because dd would be needing it soon as her crib only went to 6 months. He wasnt very happy about it and used to get out over 30 times a night. We had tried to move him before dd was born but disaster! Dd went into a bed at 21mths when we bought bunk beds and it massively improved her sleeping. She's a wriggler and kept bashing into the cot sides. I'd behappy to leave a child in the cot if they are sleeping well nd have enough room.

Thumbwitch Sat 29-Sep-12 12:46:34

Mine was out of his cot by 20mo, because that's when we emigrated and he moved into sleeping back in my bed (long story). When we finally moved into our own new house, out of MIL's, he was too big and too used to the space to go back in the cot.

So I think you've done pretty well to keep her in that long, tbh! grin

floppops Sat 29-Sep-12 13:07:48

Hmm, I wonder if allowing her more freedom-taking off the cot side would improve her night time sleep so she might sleep for the never as yet reached 12 hours?..

Iggly Sat 29-Sep-12 13:10:35

We didn't make a big deal about switching to a bed so ds didn't see it as one. He was 20 months. Napped fine in it, bedtime was ok for the first few weeks until he realised he could escape.

DS's went funny at a similar age to your dd - we had to sit with him until he slept otherwise he wouldn't!!

floppops Sat 29-Sep-12 13:17:06

Oh that doesn't sound good..DD goes to sleep fine at the moment at night by herself. Although when she was still breastfeeding I had loads of trouble getting her to fall asleep on her own.

CouthyMowWearingOrange Sat 29-Sep-12 13:20:32

DS3 went into a bed at 16mo. It was too dangerous to leave him in the cot because he was climbing out, and hurting himself.

jaggythistle Sat 29-Sep-12 13:27:14

we moved DS1 from cot and sleeping bag to toddler bed and quilt at about 2.3. we wanted to leave a good gap before dc2 needed to go in 'his' cot.

i was all for getting a plain bed and nice covers, but DH convinced me on a fancy character bed.

he flippin loves it and has slept and napped fine in it.

he got out the first night, but DH just said to him to shout for us to come and get him. he's 3 now and amazingly has never appeared through yet. so it might not mean a wee face popping up by the bed. grin

issimma Sat 29-Sep-12 13:40:58

Dd is 20mo and is moving into her bed tonight! She's had a cot duvet and cot with the sides down for about a month, and apart from falling out the first night, doesn't seem to have noticed! We have a bed guard and will be making a soft landing from her cot mattress just in case!

Goldenjubilee10 Sat 29-Sep-12 17:16:15

My three ds's moved out of their cots when they were 4. Only ds1 ever climbed out, we just left the side down for him.

OhEmGee24 Sat 29-Sep-12 21:11:49

Dd went in a toddler bed at 2.1

spaceangel1382 Sat 29-Sep-12 21:26:27

Was wondering what age to move my DD but she is such a wiggled I think we are a while off. She moves do much during the night I don't even think she is ready to leave grobag and get duvet. She is 22 months old

quornmummy Sun 30-Sep-12 11:55:52

I moved my dd out of cotbed at 3 years 8 mths mainly because she was dry at night and thought she might need the loo. It wasn't too big a change for her to be honest and I think that now aged 4 she'd still be in there as she loved it, slept well in it and never climbed out! All children are different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now