Talk

Advanced search

Cranial osteopathy..anyone done this for baby?

(12 Posts)
chaosandcupcakes Fri 28-Sep-12 14:56:06

Wasn't sure where to post this. My 4 week old is very windy at night and cries on and off for hours. She gulps very fast and gives herself hiccups and then is quite often sick. HV suggested different bottle teets and lactose free formula but this hasn't made a difference.

A friend of my mums suggested cranial osteopathy. Apparently it removes stresses from pregnancy and labour ( my labour was quite quick) and can help baby relax.

Not sure it isn't a bit hippy dippy wierd though ?

Alaro Fri 28-Sep-12 14:58:07

I did it with both of mine. I do recommend it.

chaosandcupcakes Fri 28-Sep-12 15:07:01

Can I ask alaro what you thought it helped with?

felixfelicis1 Fri 28-Sep-12 15:26:54

My son was an absolute nightmare when he was born. He had a terribly sore tummy all the time, SO windy and was often sick (sounds a bit like yours).

I was recommended to go by my step mother (an acupuncturist) and I thought it was a bit hippy too. It is quite expensive too (£30) but I was at my wit's end and tried it. To be honest I'm not 100% sure but I do feel like it helped. She noticed some things in his movement very quickly and knew immediately where he had been positioned in the womb etc. I do think it was worth it even though I can't be 100% sure exactly why if that makes sense! He was an incredibly scrunched up tense baby, and seemed uncomfortable all the time. He is older now so I am struggling to remember all the details and when I noticed a change etc but I do remember feeling it helped at the time.

Also have you considered the possibility of reflux? I know people are very opinionated about this but I gave mine baby gaviscon (a bit on the tongue right before bfing or in the bottle if ff). Maybe go to your doc about it? I thought it helped his tummy a lot.

Hope you are OK and not getting too sleep deprived!

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Fri 28-Sep-12 15:52:01

My sister had this done with each of her three when they were a few weeks old and absolutely swears by it. Her three were all really easy relaxed babies, all fed well, all slept really well.

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Fri 28-Sep-12 15:52:46

oops meant to add, if you can afford it I think it's worth a try.

KatyJ26 Fri 28-Sep-12 15:58:43

I had this done with all 3 of mine! My gut instinct was that it was for people who ate too much muesli and were very alternative! However, I ate humble pie! It really helped, especially my 1st DD, who was a very grumpy baby due to a variety of reasons (including reflux). She used to fall asleep during the sessions and sleep for hours afterwards - I was so desperate, it was worth the £46 per session just for the sleep inducing properies!!!

I would recommend it, however, make sure you go to someone who has been recommended to you. Good luck!

BeckyBendyLegs Fri 28-Sep-12 16:12:19

I did it for my DS3 who had very bad eczema (he was referred to dermatologist who prescribed all the usual sorts of creams) and windy tummy, vomitting, etc. He was a terrible sleeper too. I think I started it when he was a couple of months old. It appeared to cure him of the eczema completely, in conjunction with the creams (he now has no eczema at all, he's two years old now) and it really helped with his tummy too. I thought it was brilliant and worth every penny.

wineandcakeplease Fri 28-Sep-12 16:22:24

I did this for my DD when she was a few weeks old. She was a very bad sleeper and full of mucus to the extent that she sounded like she was choking in her sleep and she wouldn't lay on her back at all.

During the session I watched my DD coughing up all of the mucus and she never suffered again and that night she slept for 4 hours straight, which believe me was a miracle!

I would recommend it 10 times over and it is worth every penny.

DD was born by ventouse and I understand ventouse babies are prime candidates for this as they are pulled out of the birth canal too quickly...or something..!

Hopeforever Fri 28-Sep-12 16:25:12

DS had CO aged 4 days, I was a crying mess as he wouldn't feed or sleep. Within minutes of the treatment he had the longest feed then slept for hours unil I had to wake him as I was so full. He had a couple more treatments. Money well spent

Alaro Fri 28-Sep-12 16:32:57

DD1 was very similar to your baby. Couldn't put her down, very unhappy, I felt I wasn't doing anything right. Totally desperate and out of my mind I took her to a paediatric cranial osteopath. I found her very relaxed after her sessions and sleepy. With DD2, I used cranial osteopathy for her teething. Again, I felt it helped to relax and calm her. I took DD1 back to the osteopath when I discovered she had a squint. I felt her body responded very well to sessions and feel it did help with this.

chaosandcupcakes Fri 28-Sep-12 18:41:39

Thankyou for all the responses. Sounds like it is definitely worth a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now