Talk

Advanced search

going mad from adhd. need to stop loosing my temper. any pointers? help please!

(9 Posts)
pinkum Thu 27-Sep-12 19:24:47

hello, its been a long time. i need some help to calm down before i blow. my eldest ds nearly 6 has just been diagnosed with adhd, anxiety and enuresis nocturnal and diurnal, my youngest ds 4 years shows many of the characteristics of adhd also. jumping from 7 ft+ being generaly argumentative etc.
they are both very loud especialy indoors (we have a very small outside space) and in the car. they drive me crazy. i ask calmly over and over for them to calm down, but they either dont hear me or it goes straight back to it again in a couple of minutes. i have tried all sorts of parenting stratagies. we work mainly on rewarding posative time out for negative etc.
if i explode my eldest goes into a screaming ridged panic (this is the anxiety). Im trying to learn meditation and i do allot of excercise, but often when its hardest is when im trying to do something like cook or drive when i cant just drop everything.
i feel like its making me ill. i feel it in my chest, my head hurts and i feel sick. i have allot going on in my life and i need to sort this out. im not going on medication by the way. i just need some tips to try and keep calm while the world around me goes bloody mad. counitng to 10 sort of thing. i do have a short fuse sometimes but this would send a saint mad.
they are better when they are out but you cant be out all the time and i cant afford it. we are £95 a week under what the government say our family need to live on, so skint. ok im wafffling. any help guys?

frazzledbutcalm Thu 27-Sep-12 21:26:18

did you watch food hospital last night? change in diet (low bad fat and no sweets) REALLY helped a teenager with ADHD .....

madwomanintheattic Thu 27-Sep-12 21:38:59

Heh.
Ds1 is 10, with dx of ADHD, aspergers traits, primary and secondary nocturnal and diurnal enuresis, anxieties and phobias

grin

He is better on omegas, zinc, magnesium, and he takes Vyvanse on prescription for the ADHD.

And get him a trampoline with a great big bloody net and a padlock.

Did i say that out loud?

He also sees a psych and a MH youth outreach worker occasionally. We are slowly seeing improvements with the continence. I now have some hope.

I have to try really hard not to lose it, as it just escalates everything. The psych suggests that I only get stressed about things that I can actually change - not the ones I can't. So zen it is.

Sympathy x

madwomanintheattic Thu 27-Sep-12 21:41:03

(Dd2 has cerebral palsy. Even our gp nodded sagely and said 'I bet that one causes you way more grief' nodding at ds1.)

Ineedalife Thu 27-Sep-12 21:55:48

Hi pink, you should join us on the special needs children board. It is lovely over there and we all support each other.

Sometimes we just vent and it is fine because we all know how difficult it is.

maybe see you over theresmile

pinkum Fri 28-Sep-12 19:29:43

thanks veryone it nice to know im not alone. xx

pinkum Sat 29-Sep-12 17:22:22

hello, where do i find the special needs children board?
both my boys are on good diet not much sugar or bad fats. very healthy realy. and when they do have any of the bad stuff it dousnt seam to make any difference. iv got them on omega 63+9.

ruby22 Sat 29-Sep-12 21:55:09

hi i may be way off track here and someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember from training many years ago that for kids with adhd time out as a negative consequence just doesn't work as the part of the brain that's wired differently in adhd kids is also the part which just doesn't 'get' cause and effect. or they may be later in learning consequences of actions.

Ineedalife Sat 29-Sep-12 22:11:35

Hi again pink, if you go to the main talk menu and scroll down the Special needs children board is just underneath Am I Being Unreasonable,

dont accidentally go on AIBU though, its a scary placegrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now