Talk

Advanced search

Toddler backlash after starting preschool - common?

(3 Posts)
EugenesAxe Tue 25-Sep-12 11:46:04

DS (2.8) was with childminder from 11mo to about 17mo while I worked. Since then I've looked after him (maternity then quit work) & I had DD 10m ago. Last week he started preschool 3 mornings a week.

He's taken to it pretty quickly; 4th session had the breakthrough of 'I had fun at nursery today' in the car on the way home, but initially he was upset about going there, and when I left. He's a shrewd little thing and I'm sure he will be fully aware that I am going off with DD while he stays at nursery. The last couple of days he has taken to hurting her quite badly - yesterday he bit her twice on her hand; once on the nail/cuticle (drew blood shock) and once between the fingers (mark still visible this morning). I've been in the room or pottering when this has happened; I blame myself and for once I have managed a zen like calm and just taken him for time out every time he's done it.

He had a mate over yesterday and was a bit rough with her and her brother too - I had to give him time out for one of the 'attacks'.

Has anyone else noticed a sudden bout of this kind of sibling rivalry/bullying in a similar situation? If yes, does it last for ages and am I doing the right thing, or did anything else help your DC get over the phase?

Thanks!

Iggly Tue 25-Sep-12 20:58:35

Yes - DS has started doing the biting with his little sister (9 months) and has just started preschool. I'm on maternity leave.

I think it's a combination of being tired from preschool (he's exhausted) and frustration/jealously at the time dd gets from me vs his. He's actually better when it's just me and him and dd and I can give him plenty of cuddles/attention.

I'm trying to ride it out. Any biting is swiftly dealt with. I also give positive attention whenever I can. Also early bedtimes and keeping his day quite low key in the afternoons after pre school.

EugenesAxe Wed 26-Sep-12 16:48:32

Sorry I'd given up on this thread - thanks for the response! Nice to know it's not just me. Three days on it seems better - hopefully I've nipped it in the bud with the time outs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now