Talk

Advanced search

Napping - to extend or not to extend?!

(4 Posts)
Saltytomato Sun 23-Sep-12 17:55:44

Hi ladies, I'm doing my head in regarding my 3 1/2 month olds naps....
Sometimes he will nap for an hour and a half no problem, but sometimes he wakes after 30 minutes, not crying, just kicking around and chatting away.

Should I try and extend these 30 minute naps or just accept that some naps are shorter than others? If all his naps were super short then I would think that he can't get past the first sleep cycle, but this isn't the case.

He sleeps on average for about 12-13 hours a day, so I think he is getting about enough sleep, he has always been super alert and goes down for his naps kicking and screaming! He also can sleep for 9 hours straight at night, 11 hours with feeds in between....

Any opinions would be really appreciated, as I'm a first time mum and really don't know what is 'normal'.

Thanks

Zimbah Sun 23-Sep-12 21:43:55

It sounds like he's happy in the day, and he's sleeping incredibly well at night. I would just leave the naps alone. Napping for 1.5 hours is a really long nap at 3.5 months!

Saltytomato Mon 24-Sep-12 10:02:53

Thanks zimbah, that makes me feel a bit better. I guess I will just pick him up and play with him after his 30 min naps then instead of leaving him to try n get back to sleep smile

Zimbah Mon 24-Sep-12 10:25:11

If he's happy kicking his legs and chatting when he wakes then there's no need to rush to get him up (unless you want to smile), you can just leave him to play and get on with your own things until he's fed up and wants some attention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now