Talk

Advanced search

Help! 5 year old tantrums when losing!

(6 Posts)
minceorotherwise Sat 22-Sep-12 12:47:51

My 5 yr old just cannot cope with losing, in a competitive sense
Cue large tantrum, stamping of feet, tears, shouting etc
It gets to the point where he just won't join in and I can't seem to explain well, or get him to understand the concept of trying harder, calming down, taking it better
I suppose he has been mollycoddled a bit, being the youngest, but I think at 5 he really needs to overcome this
Anyone else had this or any tips on dealing with?

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Sat 22-Sep-12 16:53:14

He's only 5....just ignore him. It's small still.

minceorotherwise Sat 22-Sep-12 17:03:45

It is small isn't it
I do think that too
I had a chat with him so hopefully he might take it on board. I guess he's going to get used to it at some point

lecce Sun 23-Sep-12 09:02:41

I have the same problem with ds1 - he's the same age as yours. He constantly asks to play snap etc but just cannot deal with not winning. He's had lots of experience at winning and losing but he's no better now than he was a year ago.

Had a playdate last week and it was embarrassing to see him screaming and sulking when he lost and the little girl just shrugging when it was her smile.

No advice but I hope they both grow out of it soon smile.

post Sun 23-Sep-12 09:14:12

When he tantrums, does he ever get anything out of it? I mean, do you let him win, or make a fuss of him? Children do learn to do what they perceive to need to take care of themselves, as we all do.

minceorotherwise Sun 23-Sep-12 11:10:20

I think we probably did make it a little easier on him when he threw a wobbler Post.
I have thought that this is probably of my own making!!
Trying to ensure no positive outcomes for bad behavior from now on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now