Talk

Advanced search

does anyone know where i can find the phonic sounds written down

(7 Posts)
Morph2 Wed 19-Sep-12 21:17:46

DS already knows the letter names but he has now started asking about the sounds. I thought i knew them from when i learnt to read but i think they are now taught different- for example DS tells me M is Mmmm rather than Muh? i've googled and i can see lots where you can watch a video with them or sounds but laptops playing up so would like somewhere where i can see them written down

janek Wed 19-Sep-12 21:24:53

Google oxford owl, there's a page on there with every possible sound and variation. Sorry i can't link, but you need flash and i'm on my i pad and i don't think the two are compatible...

Morph2 Wed 19-Sep-12 21:32:20

ta, i've not got flashplayer either so it won't let me look, will have to have a look when i'm round my mums

Goldmandra Wed 19-Sep-12 22:04:42

You can download them and play them on Real Player or Windows Media Player here.

Tiggles Wed 19-Sep-12 22:29:40

I'm not sure how to write them down, but the easiest way to describe the sounds, is to listen to the sounds at the ends of words (so they aren't blended into any other sound) so the reason the phonic is mmmm not muh is if you listen to the word Mum it is mmmmm (The muh sound is actually an mmm followed by the uh, iyswim). Also you see a lot of people saying things like it isn't duh, tuh, etc it is kind of a 'lighter' sound, so the 'tuh' is a very quick 't' sound (tuh, not tee, but just quickly on the top of your mouth when you say it), f isn't fuh, but more like air coming out your mouth ffffff, same with h not huh but hhhhh (quite airy). If you look at the jolly phonics books the descriptions of actions they give for each sound gives quite a good way to describe the sounds, as e.g. (certainly when DS1 did JP 7 years ago anyway) the f was a blown up fish deflating, making a ffff sound.

Hope that makes at least some sense! But if you post on Primary Education there are a couple of phonics experts there (eg Mrz).

Morph2 Fri 21-Sep-12 21:26:20

thanks little miss green that seems to make sense

ScarletLady02 Sat 22-Sep-12 07:48:56

Do you let him watch TV? Alphablocks is awesome for phonics...my DD LOVES it. I also got recommended a great Leapfrog toy called Fridge Phonics on here. It has all the letters which you plug into something and it sings a little song about the sound etc. I'm not sure how old you DS is so sorry if that's a bit young sounding, but it's taught my DD (21 months) to say all the letter names and sounds perfectly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now