Talk

Advanced search

Is the transition to KS2 meant to be this hard?!!

(10 Posts)
NorthernGobshite Tue 18-Sep-12 20:04:14

Since starting year 3 my dd (7) has been moody and absolutely tired out after school. She says she doesn't like school any more. I think the move has been a shock; as it seems to be much more learning based and less 'fun'. She is a very bright child (level 3 in SAT's) so i don't think she's finding it a struggle, just not much fun.

She is fine at school and I am certain nothing nefarious is wrong but I wondered if the transition to KS2 is always this hard?

countydurhamlass Tue 18-Sep-12 20:46:29

it is so much different to ks1. it is more learning based and less play orientated. year 3 is when the more structured learning begins. my ds has just started in year 4 but i remember when he started in year 3 the parents were given a booklet (a4 sheet folded in 3) explaining what he would be learning about and it was much more curriculum based, ie RE, English, Social Skills, Art, Science, PE and the only free time he got was on a Friday afternoon. it is also when they introduce homework, ds used to get homework once a week on a Friday to take back to school on a Monday and on a Monday he got spellings to learn for Friday. he also brought home his reading book each night. It was a big change to him and it took him a few weeks to get into it. now in year 4 he gets homework on a MOnday to do by Wednesday and a Friday to do by Monday, he still gets his spellings on a Monday like before as well as his reading book! give it a few weeks and your dd will settle in. the teachers are also a little bit more stricter which is probably what she doesnt like.

frazzledbutcalm Tue 18-Sep-12 20:50:19

It is for lots of children sad
It is ALL about learning and work now. Our school year 3 also lose their afternoon playtime sad
On the plus side, lots of children thrive on the organised structure.
I'm sure your dd will settle soon. Even just going back after the summer holidays in the lower years took my children weeks/months to settle into a routine...
My only suggestion from my experience would be to ensure early bedtime EVERY night. Also don't quiz her about everything, let her talk/tell you things in her own time. She may not even tell you much in the early weeks, I found mine were just too worked out from school to even think about their day! I'd also have an activity for her to come home to every night, colouring books, jigsaws, ds/wii, bike etc.. just to help her wind down.

countydurhamlass Tue 18-Sep-12 21:13:29

following on from frazzledbutcalm about having an activity to do when she comes home, i walk home with my ds whenever its dry, it takes about 20 mins on a slow walk but its allows him to wind down and if he wants to talk its the perfect time free from distractions such as tv and games, i would highly recommend it

NorthernGobshite Thu 20-Sep-12 12:20:55

Thank you, I am trying not to overreact but I am a born worrier!
It is reassuring to hear other children find the move difficult; it really does seem to have been a shcok to her system! She is keen to do well so I suspect she is also finding the move more challenging as she wants to continue to do well. She has a blow out over her homework the other night sad

I am trying to stick to very early nights and keeping after school time quite chilled. I am ignoring silly flare ups over nothing and hoping that she settles soon.

The advise to not grill her is useful as I do tend to quiz her a little. I am just going to back off and let her talk to me in her own time. She likes to chat while she's in the bath or during bedtime so I am sure any real concerns will come out then.

I have emailed the HT (I know her well) just to check out that dd is happy enough in class and there is nothing I need to be aware of and other than that I think I need to chill out!

NorthernGobshite Thu 20-Sep-12 12:31:21

We live over the road from school so the walk home isn't time to unwind! I will try to let her unwind with some colouring or something. She goes to a child minder some days because I work and whilst she likes being there it adds to her feeling tired. It also means when we get in it can feel a bit frantic with making tea etc, homework...I need to find a way to slow it down.

DamnDeDoubtance Thu 20-Sep-12 20:47:39

DD 7 is just the same, I could've written your post!

She is also bright and has previously loved school.

I am just trying to make her homelife as relaxed as possible.

NorthernGobshite Fri 21-Sep-12 10:17:37

We had a bit of a break through last night. She was very surly so I had long talk and she got very upset. The crux is that has suddenly become very formal schooling and as she is bright they seem to be expecting a lot.

I ran her a bath, put some pop music on and she chilled out. This morning she seems like her old elf; I think it helped her get it off her chest and put it into perspective. I am going to talk to her teacher as I think the sudden chnage has possibly been mishandled.

DamnDeDoubtance Fri 21-Sep-12 14:40:27

That sounds great Northern. I also made a point of not bombarding dd with questions after school yesterday.

She said she had a bad day, I asked if she wanted to talk about it which she didn't, so I just left it.

We had a relaxed evening and later on she was telling me loads of stuff she had done which she loved, so cannot be that bad.

I guess we just have to let em get on with it.

NorthernGobshite Fri 21-Sep-12 14:46:21

Yep, didn't expect it to be this much of a shock for her though sad but I am sure they will adapt to it soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now