Talk

Advanced search

Teething: last four molars. Horrendous?

(22 Posts)
BabydollsMum Tue 18-Sep-12 15:16:45

DD's 19 months and has 16 teeth - just the last 4 molars to go. We've enjoyed such a lovely hiatus from teething of late but my heart's now sinking at the thought of those last four coming through, which I think is now the case. Mums with kids with a full set - do I need to brace myself? I've heard they're the worst. Also, how long did it take for them to cut? Please, God don't tell me months.

She's just spent 80 mins crying and holding her teeth before her nap and the Calpol just isn't cutting it. Have bought some Nurofen for tonight. The poor little love. I feel so helpless!

Longdistance Tue 18-Sep-12 15:23:51

A doc said I could use both Calpol and Nurofen. Nurofen is more fast acting than Calpol too ;)
My dd2 (14mo) has 3 coming through at the mo, molars, and a bottom one. Her teeth have come all out of order, so it's a surprise when they appear randomly lol.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 18-Sep-12 15:38:02

That is very early for the last molars, which usually don't come in until 2.5, I would be inclined to get her ears checked.

FWIW I didn't even notice my DD's coming in, or her first four adult ones smile

BabydollsMum Tue 18-Sep-12 15:46:16

Ooh that's interesting fan - she is coming off the back of a cold too, so maybe it's not teeth. I forgot to mention her neck looked a bit swollen just now but I thought that would have been teeth. Maybe her glands are up.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 18-Sep-12 15:48:26

yes I think so, it is very unlikely she is getting her molars already, you should get a bit of a break before they come in smile I hope she is OK soon.

notcitrus Tue 18-Sep-12 15:49:00

I thought the last 4 would be bad as they seemed to get worse, but then took her to the dentist and he said they were all there already! Pleasant surprise!

HauntedLittleLunatic Tue 18-Sep-12 15:50:32

Actually the last 4 molars don't actually come in until late teens and early 20s but I am being deliberatly obtuse.

milkyjo Tue 18-Sep-12 23:08:17

Ds last milk teeth are on their way now. 1st one came at 18 months so not uncommon although his first tooth came at just 4 months. I read that child should have all 20 teeth by 2.5 years. I will add that it's more a behavior issue with D's as opposed to being in pain but its obviously causing discomfort hence the behaviour! If calpol is not working try the ibuprofen but if that's not working it might not be teething x

Nanny0gg Tue 18-Sep-12 23:51:50

Have you tried the teething powders/granules? They are quite effective as far as my DGC are concerned.

baileyslover Wed 19-Sep-12 00:07:12

DS is 21 months and 3 of the molars have cut te gum, not totally erupted yet. No real indication they were coming re pain, unless this recurrence of biting/pinching children is connected sad

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 19-Sep-12 01:05:10

18 months IS uncommon, I am not saying it never happens but not that often ( have worked for a dentist for years)

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 19-Sep-12 01:05:53

My bet would still be something else, especially after a cold with glands up

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 19-Sep-12 01:12:02

Anyway time will tell, I hope the poor wee thing is ok soon whatever the cause smile

MigGril Wed 19-Sep-12 07:26:24

yes double check it's not something else. But DD had her full set of baby teeth by 18 months.

BabydollsMum Wed 19-Sep-12 07:40:09

Thanks all! I'm inclined to agree with fan only in that she's been on the later side with the teeth coming through generally. Mind you it can still take months of pushing before any cut through can't it. She's had a good night and is still giving it Zzzzs this morning so I think she's feeling a bit better.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 19-Sep-12 08:40:31

Glad she is feeling better smile

if she is on the later side generally I would be even more surprised if it is teeth.

(must say again I did NOT say they never come in early, just its not the "norm" to come in by 18 months)

milkyjo Wed 19-Sep-12 10:14:41

This info from NHS might be helpful www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/teething-and-tooth-care.aspx#close. Second molars from 20 months and most children's milk teeth are through by 2.5. It's also got some good self care advice on there.

milkyjo Wed 19-Sep-12 10:18:04

On the flip side if its not teething you could take her to the GP to get them to have a look in her throat. DS had tonsillitis and would have his hand in his mouth and cry. Or failing that when she is crying shine a torch in there and have a look yourself for any white spots or swelling and redness - or all three!

MarzipanAnimal Wed 19-Sep-12 10:19:58

I was worried about this too. DS had 16 teeth for ages which was a lovely break from teething. He's now 2 and 1.5 of the back molars are through without us hardly noticing. He's just been a bit more clingy but that might not be connected

BabydollsMum Wed 19-Sep-12 14:02:33

That's good to know, Marzipan. There's hope! Thanks for the info, Milkyjo - great! Will have a look. xx

WorrisomeHeart Sun 23-Sep-12 20:47:29

DS has been a horrific teether since he started at 3.5 months. He's now 23mths and has the lower pair of back molars through and I think is starting the top pair. Tbh they have been really bad but maybe that because we've had a break of 2 or 3 months with no teething so forgot the awfulness of it all!! Canines were the worst for him - bloody drool on his sheets and everything. On the plus side, these molars seem to be cutting v quickly - only about 2 weeks for him to cut the bottom ones.

NicholaGriff Sun 23-Sep-12 21:48:37

The first 4 molars on my dd came through at about 16-18 months. She's now 23 months and I noticed yesterday that 2 of the second 4 molars are through without us even noticing! I hope the last 2 are as uneventful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now