Talk

Advanced search

Warning to be put on dummy packaging?

(81 Posts)
mumandsupergran Fri 17-Aug-12 11:11:46

For many years I was a special educational needs co-ordinator in a primary school as well as being a Mum to two children. I am now gran to a little girl. Research is showing a massive rise in the numbers of children reaching school with speech difficulties. There are not sufficient speech and language therapists to deal with the problem. If children arrive at school not able to speak properly their literacy development will be greatly hindered, perhaps for life. Some parents are using dummies to keep their children quiet when they should be talking to them and helping them to develop their language skills. Children learn how to make all the sounds they need to speak in their first year of life and gradually put these together to make words. A dummy stops them putting their tongue and lips in the correct position to form sounds correctly. Parents need to be warned that dummies can be harmful if used indiscriminately.There should be a health warning on dummy packaging which should state that using a dummy can seriously damage a child's speech and language development if used by a child beyond the age of one year during their waking hours. Parents can then make an informed decision about whether a dummy should or should not be used. Would any of you like to sign my epetition to ask the government to address this issue? I am not condeming anyone for using a dummy, I just want everyone to be aware of the risks. Here is the link to the petition:

Reading through other chats on Mumsnet I realize that this will be controversial but I feel very strongly about it.

StateofConfusion Fri 17-Aug-12 11:15:53

I agree perhaps a for use when sleeping would be a good idea.

But I'm not down with demonising something that is vital for so many families.

I'm bias though as my ds had speech issues, whereas my dd who had a dummy from birth and still does, has No issues at all, spoke many words by 1yo, sentences by 18mo. But then I've always kept dummys for sleep or when they're hurt and I don't mean a trip I mean hurt. And I will use one for dc3.

Its all a case of the parent again, not the product imo!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 17-Aug-12 11:36:59

I agree in theory, but think it might not impact the parents who do this.

Worth a try though.

Lilicat1013 Fri 17-Aug-12 13:19:32

I think most people are aware that using dummies all the time isn't a great idea (although the concern is usually dental rather than speech) however it doesn't stop them doing it.

I don't think a warning would change the behaviour. It might be worth a try though, at least people couldn't say they weren't made aware if it was on every pack of dummies they brought.

BettyandDon Fri 17-Aug-12 13:24:11

How do they know that dummies are the main cause ? Are there not many factors that affect speech ?

Just wondering as I have only ever met 1/2 kids that have used dummies past a few months old. Dummies are not popular at all round here.

I thought bottle use was a factor too.

MissMavishasbluehair Fri 17-Aug-12 13:25:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RaisinDEritrea Fri 17-Aug-12 13:30:16

Yes other factors inv too I am sure, like parents not confident ib modelling talk, speaking/listening, forward facing prams, use of tele in the under twos. We need Moony or the other salts to expand on stuff

hazeyjane Fri 17-Aug-12 13:42:53

I think it is difficult because some children with severe speech delay, lack of speech will have other complex medical issues, and a dummy may have been introduced in SCBU, used with a child suffering extreme reflux or when having to go through painful medical procedures like blood tests. They may also have extreme sleep problems, and a dummy might be a bit of a life saver is these situations.

I know as a parent that their use needs to be restricted, but I do worry that parent's in quite desperate situations may feel demonised. And as MissMavis says, is there a cause and effect link between the 2 issues?

suedpantsoffem Fri 17-Aug-12 13:45:44

Eegh! I hate dummies - never used them for either of my DDs. There is no need for them, they are unhygenic, and as you say, affect speech. Will sign up straight away - perhaps we can get them banned once and for all!

hazeyjane Fri 17-Aug-12 13:47:53

ahh there you see is the reason why I won't sign, because the point surely isn't so people can say, 'eww, dummies how horrid, lets ban them'.

scentednappyhag Fri 17-Aug-12 13:48:29

You actually want dummies <I>banned</I> Sued? That seems a little bit over the top surely?

scentednappyhag Fri 17-Aug-12 13:48:49

Italic fail... blush

Haribojoe Fri 17-Aug-12 13:49:08

Banning dummies are you serious?

booksandchoc Fri 17-Aug-12 13:51:24

Ehm suedpants. That's harsh. Some babies NEED dummies. Lucky for u your DCs didn't. They are only unhygienic if they aren't cleaned properly. It's better than the gross ratty teddy which gets soaked with slavers that my niece carries around. That's disgusting and unhygienic.

mamababa Fri 17-Aug-12 13:51:50

Yes let's get them banned because they are unhygienic and babies thumbs/teddies/blankets/ every single thing the put in their mouths are soooo clean. hmm

StrawberrytallCAKE Fri 17-Aug-12 13:52:59

Sorry I can't sign because I disagree. Dd used a dummy and has perfect speech, I think there are other factors that contribute more to speech difficulties.

I also don't think they should be banned as they decrease risk of SIDS and help soothe a child when they are ill/over-tired/grumpy.

suedpantsoffem Fri 17-Aug-12 13:55:38

Babies don't NEED dummies - parents dummies!
I'm fed up of seeing people pick up a dropped dummy, wipe it (or worse, suck it) and put it back in the baby's mouth.
I think dummies prevent babies from interacting with parents - the very name "dummy" summs it up! The American name for dummy is "pacifier" - which is just as bad - let's stick a dummy in the baby's mouth to give us a bit of piece.

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 17-Aug-12 13:58:13

I thought dummies were recommended by FSID?

MissMavishasbluehair Fri 17-Aug-12 13:58:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tallslutnopanties Fri 17-Aug-12 13:59:38

I'd be interested to see the research that backs this theory. I'm sure someone can link to the research showing that dummies reduce SIDS.

I think that SIDS is a greater concern personally. (plus I've never heard of proper peer-reviewed research that shows a link between dummies and poor speech)

Chundle Fri 17-Aug-12 13:59:58

Those demonising dummies have cleared never had a premature baby or a baby with SN .
So I shall inform you- dummies are given in special care to early babies to help stimulate their sucking reflex for feeding, also given as prem babies can be very hard to settle as they receive much less physical contact with their mother in the early days. Also to help with painful procedures.
SN kids may use dummies as a sensory seeking object and its very common. Sorry to dissapoint but my dd2 is almost 3 and still has a dummy! Shock horror! She has some behavour issues and Bunning a dummy is the least of my concerns.
Unhygienic really??? Dd2 has never been badly ill only ever minor colds with no fever. Dd1 however didn't have a dummy and she was constantly in and out of hospital with numerous infections until she was five.

Fact is its different for every child. Wish I could abolish every ignorant person that comments on dd2s dummy!

Chundle Fri 17-Aug-12 14:01:17

Sorry forgot to add dummies help prevent cot death. FACT! This is because the child is aware it has something in its mouth so doesn't go into as deep a sleep as those without

booksandchoc Fri 17-Aug-12 14:02:35

You are tarring everyone with the same brush. Dd doesn't have a dummy in her in mouth when we r interacting with her. She is six months and saying mum dad baba loads of gobbildigook basically. Oh and I am one of those who gives her dummy a quick suck, maybe doesn't sterilise it but she hasn't had a bug yet. She only gets her dummy to sleep, if she didn't she would be a thumb sucker which IMO is much worse.

MrsBucketxx Fri 17-Aug-12 14:04:11

im not against them, i wanted both of mine to use one and they just spat it back out.

i do think it has more to do with parenting than just dummies.

used2bthin Fri 17-Aug-12 14:04:31

There are many many causes of speech problems and I think parenting choices are too often the thing that is assumed to be the cause before other issues are ruled out. So while I agree that having a dummy in a child's mouth constantly is not a good plan, I don't know that anyone can say its the definate reason these issues have increased.

I have a child with severe speech and language disorder (she never had a dummy btw-I tried to get her to take one as she had lots of painful medical procedures and I thought it may comfort her but she never took to it) and speech therapy resources have been cut back at a scary rate, to the point we now pay when we can to get her the support she needs. I would think this would have a big impact on numbers of children still with speech issues staring schools possibly too. As would a number of factors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now