Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Worried about 6yr old DS's behaviour. Is this normal?

(5 Posts)
Betti Tue 25-Oct-11 17:18:23

My DS has severe difficulty concentrating and waiting patiently. Whenever he plays rugby or tennis, he is fine when it is his turn but when someone else is having a turn, he fidgets, messes about with others and pays no attention at all to what is going on around him. When he's told off, he looks off into the distance as if he's not listening. He will not meet the eyes of the person talking to him.

At school he puts his hand up to answer questions but if he's not picked he just shouts out.

He is very easily distracted and I don't know how many times I have to ask him to do something before he actually does it.

Is this normal for a 6 year old boy? I'm now worrying that maybe he has adhd or similar.

Bucharest Tue 25-Oct-11 17:20:23

Sounds pretty normal to me!

Do the teachers say anything is awry? If not, then I wouldn't stress too much.

LIZS Tue 25-Oct-11 17:21:41

hmm I'd suggest it is potentially borderline for one of several conditions, so maybe worth gettiing him assessed especially if it affects his behaviour and learning at school. Could be immaturity, could be something more long term .

Betti Tue 25-Oct-11 17:38:08

His teacher calls me in every other day to tell me she's at the end of her tether because he keeps shouting out rather than putting his hand up. When I ask him about this, he says it's because he's never picked to give the answer. He messes about in his foreign language lessons and just says he does it because he doesn't like these lessons. He can't explain why he can't concentrate when he has to wait for his turn in sport. He hates being told what to do and thinks he knows everything.

dikkertjedap Tue 25-Oct-11 17:59:29

I would suggest to get him assessed, I most definitely do not think that this is normal behaviour for a six year old. Either they find something during an assessment and you have a good chance to get extra support for him or they don't and you have to agree a plan with school to improve his behaviour. No good to let this just festering, it will impact on him and on you and your family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now