Talk

Advanced search

What age will a cot bed last to?

(6 Posts)
CURIOUSPARENT Tue 25-Oct-11 16:06:04

Now my DD is ready for the cot bed I could do with reallocating it to her and getting my DS (3yrs) a bed. However, the problem that I have is that the space where I need to put it is limited because access is needed to a cupboard door. In the next 2 to 3 years I am hoping to be able to block access to the bottom of the door off when we also re-jig the upstairs bathroom arrangement etc but for now we cannot afford to get it done.

In reality, a toddler bed would be better as it would fit and allow proper access to the (regularly used) cupboard. Info I have read from the seller suggest that they are good until about 7 years old but wondering how long in practise it could last - i.e. what age do you think my DS may be able to be in it for? I don't really want to buy it if he'll have outgrown it in 2 years but if I could make it last 3, maybe 4 years (at a push) then because of the practicalities of it then I'm sure it will be worthwhile.

Any thoughts anyone please?

TIA

kelloo1 Tue 25-Oct-11 17:15:53

My neice used to sleep in a cot bed bed when she slept at my mums and she is 8. She has just outgrown it and she is a tall 8 so they do last a while.

Daisy1986 Tue 25-Oct-11 19:45:35

I have the B is for Baby Obaby Cotbed it said it would last till they were 5 years old. My DD has just turned 2 and very tall I'll be lucky if it last till shes 3.

talkingnonsense Tue 25-Oct-11 19:47:46

My ds was in his cot bed ( sides off!) until he was about 8! He'd probably still fit in it now tbh but we decided he might be feeling a bit hard done by.

Tgger Tue 25-Oct-11 20:41:01

Hi there!
It depends on the bed and how big your kids are!! Check the weight limit on the bed. My DS was in a toddler bed, that says it is suitable up to 50 pounds, he's now just turned 5 and is 45 pounds so is getting near to the weight limit- although he seems too big for it now. He's a big chap, more the size of a 6/7 year old than a just 5 year old. We actually swapped him to a normal single bed not long after he was 3 so that his sister could have the toddler bed when she was ready. She is in it now and is almost 3. She weighs 31 pounds and I think she'll stay in that bed until at least 5 or 6.

Sorry a bit waffly, but it gives you an idea.

CURIOUSPARENT Wed 26-Oct-11 06:52:20

Thanks everyone! Help appreciated, I think that it will probably do him a few years and on that basis we'll chance it......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now