Talk

Advanced search

16 month old sleep fighter driving me insane...

(4 Posts)
duffly Tue 25-Oct-11 12:36:10

Subject says it all really... I'm just looking for advice and/or understanding.

She carries on for ages before her nap and up to 2 hours before falling asleep at night. Shouting, squealing, hollering, laughing, etc.

I am so friggin' fed up with living with a constantly tired child because she won't go to sleep. I used to let her sleep in the mornings to try to make up for the missing sleep and that just made things worse.

She gets up to bed, snuggles in, her eyes start to go... As soon as I shut the door she's up!

Right now she's up there really going for it and has been for over half an hour. I'm just going to ignore her this time until she either falls asleep or her usual nap time time is up (providing she's not crying) as I can't stand the thought of trying to spend yet another afternoon trying to entertain/distract a tired, whining, etc. child. I love her to bits but this is just making me nuts!!! I don't know what else to do.

Does anyone have any advice? Or ideas of what could be causing it?

Thanks in advance.

Bossybritches22 Tue 25-Oct-11 12:54:10

She's being a nosey little madam who thinks you're having fun without her!!

Could you save the bits & bobs that need putting away/tidying upstairs, & pootle around doing those with her door open?

Settle her with a firm "nap/bedtime" & kiss. Each time she bounces up, leave her a few minutes then just go back & repeat. no eye contact or playing just same boring phrase. If she knows you are around but only doing BORING stuff & you don't "reward" her with cuddles & affection the natural tiredness will kick in.

Could you take her out for a walk later in the afternoon to really wear her out,& maybe put bedtime back just 30 mins, if you can stand it to ensure she's ready to sleep. Take a bit longer with the bath /feed/bed routine maybe?

'tis a nightmare,I sympathise but keep telling yourself "It's only a phase" it was my mantra & I could be found rocking the DD's & repeating it like a loon many an evening! grin

Both DD's are now teens & getting them OUT of bed is the problem !!

Bossybritches22 Tue 25-Oct-11 12:55:39

Oh the other thing is some babes DO scream/cry themselves to sleep so as long as they are safe, come down & get a cuppa & ignore!

duffly Tue 25-Oct-11 13:07:58

Bossy, thanks for making me laugh! I'll try putting laundry away etc. tomorrow when she's SUPPOSED to be having her nap... One thing though is that ANY distraction is most welcome to her so I suspect it will just prolong the theatrics. Worth a try though! Had a health visitor once who strongly reccomended 'pickup/put down and/or shushing/patting' - Physical contact is met with great enthusiasm and just about sends her into orbit when she's meant to be napping.

Believe me the child gets plenty of exercise! I take her to the park most afternoons when the overtired displays of angst get too much for me. I doesn't make any difference.

She is indeed nosy and can't bear to miss anything. Sadly I can't bear another minute of her whining on due to tiredness!! I'm well and truly fed up with this phase.

She's STILL squealing on up there... Have to admire her stamina if nothing else hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now