Talk

Advanced search

child with tongue tie

(6 Posts)
noko Mon 24-Oct-11 17:15:28

i want to know if a tongue tie can affect children speech development.
i came across this when someone mentioned this to me about my ds speech delay. ds will be 5 in december and has a speech delay. it really upsetting as it make understand him really hard. has speech therapy seesion since a year with no improvement in his speech. the good things about therapy is ds seems confident now to join other chldren when playing even when his friends do not understand his sentences.
four months ago my dh was told by his friend to check our ds tongue to see if it;s tied, as we didn't know what to look for, we ignored it. but yesterday i met my cousin who live abroad and he was telling me that his dd ( almost 3) had her tongue cilpped a month ago as she had a similar problem, he said there's been a huge improvement since then and suggest that i consult my gp.

when it come to children, parents are willing to do anything to help, and i want to help my son. ds never had a problem when breastfed as i read that sometimes babies struggles to feed if their tonguea are tied.

anyone out there, ever heard of this, need advice

NickNacks Mon 24-Oct-11 17:20:38

Yes I have a tongue tie and my DS2 also did and had his cut at 3 weeks as I knew to look for it. It can affect feeding (as in case of my DS) and also speech. I'm lucky that neither has been a problem for myself. Why not make an appt with GP if you're not sure what to look for?

Bascially its where the tongue is joined again at the front or middle of the month by a small stretch of skin. Child won't be able to poke out very far and you can see it most easily when child tries to lift tongue.

HTH.

NickNacks Mon 24-Oct-11 17:21:12

not month, mouth

izzybiz Mon 24-Oct-11 17:24:41

My Ds and Dd are both tongue tied, Ds is worse, neither had any trouble with speech.
Didn't cause any feeding trouble as both were FF.

noko Mon 24-Oct-11 17:30:07

just asked ds to poke tongue out, quite hard for him but saw a thin stretch of skin as you said nicknacks. checked my own, dont have it. when he speaks, i always noticed that his tongue doesn't really move that much,it always looks like it glue to his lower mouth

NickNacks Mon 24-Oct-11 18:05:39

Sounds like he does have tongue tie than.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now