Talk

Advanced search

Asking to go on naughty step?

(3 Posts)
mamalula Mon 24-Oct-11 15:29:23

What do you do when your dc asks to go on the naughty step? We introduced the naughty step technique a few months ago to our ds1 who is nearly 3yrs and it seemed to work the 1st few times and he even said sorry by the end of the minute. But suddenly one afternoon he was playing happily when he walked over to me and hit me for no reason and pointed to the naughty step and went and sat down. I really wasn't sure what to do, so I carried through with the punishment and he has done it again a few times, hitting ds2 til he cries and then sits himself down he seems to find it funny. Any suggestions!!!

Octaviapink Mon 24-Oct-11 16:12:09

I'd say as a method of disciplining him it may have outlived its usefulness! TBH I'm not a fan of the naughty step - I think it's more constructive to reward good behaviour (especially when you 'catch' them being good) and come up with more relevant punishments.

lv75 Mon 24-Oct-11 22:31:33

During our naughty step phase we had some friends round, my eldest hit one of the visiting children, I asked him to sit on the naughty step and ten seconds later all of the children had joined him!! They thought it was great. At that point I realised it didn't work as a technique for us and agree with rewarding the good behaviour and punishments that are immediate and short for the bad (not slapping though!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now