Talk

Advanced search

What kind of things should 9 year old boys be into

(12 Posts)
Samni Mon 24-Oct-11 10:15:20

Hi,
I wanted some advice regarding my 9 yr old son. His speech was very delayed, and I feel sometimes he is still catching up and not quite there. He's kind, but can be quite hyper when he is excited. He seems to struggle with making friends. He never lets me know whats happening at school, only answers "I don't know". He very recently said to me that he doesn't know what the other kids talk about. What I would really appreciate is to know what are 9 yr old boys in to these days so I can try to equip him with some popular culture. I'm from abroad myself and have always struggled to be part of conversations, and its painful to see my son going through the same. Please advise.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chundle Mon 24-Oct-11 10:59:42

Yep I'd say match attax, Lego, Simpsons, transformers, nerd guns, jd bug scooters.

EdithWeston Mon 24-Oct-11 11:07:52

Thinking about my 10 year old, it's Doctor Who and all the silly collectables like YuGiO. He doesn't do Match Attax any more, but all forms of those drafted trading cards are very popular, as are Top Trumps.

His favourite app game is Pocket Gods, and he says the cool games for the PSP is InviZimals and DS is Mariokart, DonkeyKong, Miniland Mayhem and Supermario.

If you're unlucky, they start watching Top Gear, otherwise try CBBC - Young Dracula, Sarah Jane Adventures and definitely Horrible Histories.

GooseyLoosey Mon 24-Oct-11 11:16:46

My ds feigns an interest in football to fit in with his peers. They also play club penguin (on line game) quite a lot and ds really likes that. Doctor Who is popular (again, ds does not like it, but ensures he knows enough to talk to his friends - he actually reads it on line). They are still all into lego - most popular at the moment appears to be Lego Ninjago.

Samni Mon 24-Oct-11 22:00:08

Thank you all, its been very helpful. I will keep a look out for these things. Yes he loves doctor who and sarah jane adventures, and its good to know that other kids his age are in to similar things. He doesn't play his ds very much so has never asked for games but likes lego.
Also what kind of music are they into?
Thanks again!

SixtyFootDoll Mon 24-Oct-11 22:05:01

My DS is 8 nearly 9.
Loves Lego starwars, Ninjago, where's wally books, rugby, fineas and ferb.

zest01 Tue 25-Oct-11 21:11:47

Our 9 yr old is into lego, star wars, transformers, Diary of a Wimpy kid books, Phineas and Ferb, playing on the wii, football and rugby, flying kite and model kits. Music wise it's Tiny Tempah, Jason Derulo, Celo Green and Michael Jackson

LynetteScavo Tue 25-Oct-11 21:16:11

My 8yo is into most things already mentioned. Also Moshi Monsers

But on the playground at school he doesn't seem to talk much, just kick a ball around.

Maybe ask his class teacher if there is a particular craze in school at the moment?

orienteerer Tue 25-Oct-11 21:16:40

Was Lego but moving on to Airfix, playing rugby, reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid (.....but book choice will probably change next week).

BertieBotts Tue 25-Oct-11 21:19:37

9yo nephew seems to be into football and going out on his scooter/bike (he's currently telling anyone who will listen about the BMX he's getting for Christmas grin)

I don't think he's really into music yet, though he does play the drums.

Samni Tue 25-Oct-11 22:09:17

very helpful, thanx everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now