Talk

Advanced search

Several friends had suggested DS1 is nearly old enough to babysit the younger DC.

(7 Posts)
LynetteScavo Sun 23-Oct-11 19:42:11

My response has been a hearty laugh.

DS1 is 12 (Will be 13 early next year) this evening he and DS2 (8) decided to spray deodorant aerosols at each other. To be fair, I think DS2 started it, but how bloody stupid can you get?

Is this particularly immature behaviour, or are most boys this age not responsible enough to babysit younger siblings?

planetpotty Sun 23-Oct-11 19:53:05

Ha ha men I work with would do that smile

I think it depends on how you feel about it. On face value I would say it's fine but if you won't relax whilst out then there's no point. Sounds like they would need clear ground rules.

Dee03 Sun 23-Oct-11 19:53:56

Hi
I have 3 dc boys 9,12 and 14.
I can pop out to town/food shopping and leave them at home together but I wouldn't leave them in the evening.
14 year old I can on his own or with 12 year old but I wouldn't stay out past 9ish..but I wouldn't leave all 3 together, they would fight and eat all my food!!!! grin
I think each child is different and only you know if u can trust them.

LynetteScavo Sun 23-Oct-11 21:20:23

I think I would be wiser to leave the 8yo home alone than with his brother.

I can't can't see them being any better when they are 10 and 14.

<sigh>

Dee03 Sun 23-Oct-11 22:27:30

I know what u mean...my 9 year old ds would be ok on his own, my 12 year old would just constantly text or ring me asking when I was coming home and that would drive me nuts. grin

mycatsaysach Sun 23-Oct-11 22:32:01

mine are going backwards i swear - i keep saying to ds you will be 18 next year - 18!!!!!!! he was less trouble as a 3 yr old.

lesley33 Mon 24-Oct-11 16:58:16

You may not be able to leave him to babysit. But I do think DCs have to gradually have responsibility given to them to help them mature. Otherwise you risk end up being one of the posters who says they can't leave their 16 year old on their own as they are not very mature! Becoming mature doesn't automatically happen, for most it has to be gradually learned.

And the spraying deoderant at each other - tbh as a pretty mature 12 year old I wouldn't have automatically realised how stupid this was.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now