Talk

Advanced search

What age did you start using naughty step - if you used it?

(6 Posts)
bozemum Sun 23-Oct-11 09:12:17

I'm a first time mum and a bit of a fan if attachment parenting. But worried I might be a bit too much of a softy! Ds is now 25 months and starting to get a few terrible twos tantrums. I generally try to avoid these by distracting him with other things etc. He also does things like yesterday he was running round the house throwing raisins and giggling. I can't help thinking it cute and funny cos he is giggling so much. But I am aware that it's not behaviour to be encouraged. I try taking them off him and saying no. But it won't stop him doing this next time. He doesn't seem to realise he's been naughty. Should I be using a naughty step or something? I'm pretty sure he'd think the naughty step was funny too! Any advice from more experienced parents would be much appreciated.

pinkappleby Sun 23-Oct-11 09:21:32

I do find 'the corner' (our naughty step) useful but with this age I think finding ways to calm them or distract them is more effective.

I tend to use the corner for things I am very strict with like hurting other children or things that could be dangerous. With one of the DC I had to keep putting him back there again and again for a good few weeks until he got the message. He did find it a big game to start with and then one day he stopped finding it funny. He now walks there and stands there quietly, will occasionally shout 'can I come out now' if I have forgotten him, which has happened!

CosmicMouse Sun 23-Oct-11 09:26:43

We're APish too, and don't use the naughty step. DD is 27mo and is testing boundaries, but the naughty step just doesn't fit with the way our family does things.

The articles on this page help summarise our views. And are good for a read if ever I have a wobble.

bozemum Sun 23-Oct-11 09:53:32

Thanks very much, this is pretty much what I thought, I will read the page with interest cosmicmouse. He's a very likeable and engaging boy, he's always happy and talking to people when we're out and about. But he's pretty intelligent and I think he could start running circles round us if we aren't careful. When we were at the shops yesterday he seemed a bit like a little terror ordering us around!

jojomama27 Sun 23-Oct-11 13:58:04

I started using the naughty corner when my little girl was about 18mths as a last resort as she kept sqwealing and it was upsetting my neice. It works a treat but I do stress it is a last resort technique, I give a warning then I try and distract her which usually works.

MrsDobalina Sun 23-Oct-11 18:56:40

I'm afraid I'm not very clued up about attachment parenting so apologies if this doesn't sound like your cup of tea!

I have used a variant of the naughty step (not sure about the 'naughty' bit if you see what I mean) since 18 months. We use time out but don't even call it that and I only use it for very dangerous acts or violence against others (hitting/shoving etc). DS is now 2.5 and I ask him to leave the room and sit on a chair quietly in his bedroom and ask him to calm down/be calm. I don't put a rime limit on it (but would get him at 2mins) but let him come in when he's ready (he usually comes in shouting "be kind boy now mummy!") and we have a chat about whatever it was he was doing and saying sorry to the injured party. I saw a nice variant where the child is given a snow globe and they have to sit and watch it until all the snow has settled to help them be calm.

With things like the raisin thing I'd do the same as you and distract or just calmly give him the choice i.e. you can have the raisins and eat them but if you throw them I'll have to take them away which would be a shame cos you look like you're enjoying them (and I'll then remove raisins if behaviour continues but say nothing else about it and ignore any protests.

It seems to work for DS but no idea if it would work for others! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now