Talk

Advanced search

what am i doing wrong?

(3 Posts)
lovesthechaos3 Sat 22-Oct-11 16:26:21

have 3 ds, 3, 5 and 7 years old. Have bascially brought them up on my own and didn't think i had done a bad job, they are all very close to each other, polite, help around the house and were generally well behaved untill about 2 weeks ago then BOOM they all changed, fighting constantly, not using manners etc. I had to pull my 7yo Ds off my 5yo Ds as they were fighting pretty bad 2 nights ago resulted in me being caught in the cross fire and getting a broken thumb! What could change in theat time because i have no idea, any help or suggestions greatly appriciated as i am beggining to feel out of my depth :-/

MumblingAndBloodyRagDoll Sat 22-Oct-11 23:26:55

Has anything happened for any of them...or you... that is different?
Any changes at school?

How on earth did your thumb get broken??

Maryz Sat 22-Oct-11 23:36:15

You are more than likely doing nothing wrong at all.

They are growing up, becoming more independent and fighting to be top dog. Perfectly normal (if infuriating) behaviour.

You need a set of rules and guidelines to keep you and them on the straight and narrow. Have you considered finding a local parenting course (I found them a great support when mine were that age).

My greatest success was instituting a "no touch" rule. They weren't allowed to touch each other (pushing, shoving, play-fighting etc). The minute they did, I turned off the tv and confiscated all electronics and sent them to their rooms. Instantly, no argument, no attempted refereeing, no discussion. And I did it every time. It only took about a week of consistency to sort it out.

Are they sharing rooms, and can you have places to seperate them, because that helps?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now