Talk

Advanced search

14 mo recognising extended family

(9 Posts)
SootySweepandSue Fri 21-Oct-11 20:02:42

I'm just wondering if anyone knows at what age my DD will start to recognise and know her extended family. We get to see my parents every 3 months and DH family about every 2. This is due to distance. Does anyone know at what frequency they would recognise people now, ie, seeing every week?

Our ILs are our only babysitters but each time it feels like she is being left with strangers.

StetsonsAreCool Fri 21-Oct-11 20:09:58

We are very fortunate to have both sets of our parents living reasonably nearby. Close enough for us to see both sets every week (that is, in itself, exhausting, but worth it for DD to spend time with them --and us all get a slap up meal--)

So DD knew them all along really, she certainly recognised them enough to give HUGE smiles by 3-4 months. By about 8-9 months, she would get very excitable as we pulled up in front of their houses. At around 13mo she could point them out if you ask Where's Nana/Gransa/Ooma/Papa. Now at 16 months she shouts from outside the door for them and calls them approximately (in her way) by 'nana' 'papa' etc.

SootySweepandSue Fri 21-Oct-11 20:13:29

That's wonderful to have them closely. I guess it is a frequency thing then as opposed to an age thing.

I guess I'll have to wait till she understands a bit more in order to explain how important it is to keep in touch with rich old Grandpa !

Wallace Fri 21-Oct-11 20:15:43

You could make her a photobook smile

Tillyscoutsmum Fri 21-Oct-11 20:18:38

My in laws live quite far away and we probably see them about once every 6-8 weeks. DS is 21 months now and has recognised them for many months <<wracks brains>> - I reckon probably from about 16-17 months old ..

Could you skype occasionally ?

naturalbaby Fri 21-Oct-11 20:22:12

i used a photobook and always talked about the visit at least the day before, several times so they knew exactly who was coming.

discrete Fri 21-Oct-11 20:24:00

I second skype - my mum is very far away and only get to see her about 1-2 times a year but thanks to skype the dc seemed to be OK to be left with her almost from the first day we were with her.

SootySweepandSue Fri 21-Oct-11 20:35:20

I did make a photobook but I only think she remembers people for a very short time after seeing them.

Might try Skype more though. Initially a human inside a computer totally freaked her out!

StetsonsAreCool Fri 21-Oct-11 22:09:56

It has its pros and cons, but I wouldn't swap it for the world. When I look at how close she is to her GPs, it would make me so sad to think that she'd missed out on it. I know how hard it is for GPs to be far away (nephews live far away) and how much we take it for granted that we have access to them.

Photobook is a lovely idea, but use it regularly - every week.

DD spends one day a week with my Nan while I'm at work. Nan's obviously been working on her, because she can now even point out Grandad Bill in photos - he died 6 years ago! Don't underestimate the power of photos. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now