Talk

Advanced search

15 weeks old, hates being still :)

(11 Posts)
snowchick1977 Fri 21-Oct-11 16:23:21

Sounds totally daft I know but my dd is 15 weeks old and is only really happy when on the move.

I cant go shopping with her as she bawls in the pram if we stop in a shop to browse, but if we are moving she is ok. She is happiest when going over bumpy ground or being on the move/swimming....basically just "doing stuff" trouble is I cant be on the move all of the time with her.

Does anyone else have a baby that needs to be moving? She wont really nap in the day unless she has been out in the car seat, or buggy.

She fights me when i wind her and goes totally rigid and waves her arms in the air. She wont sit still like other babies I see that are happy to sit there wi their mum....mine just fights. Shes not in pain or anything. It is just like she is bored.

I am looking on the funny side but i just wondered if this is normal? She is as good as gold at other peoples houses as long as she is on the go.

Sounds really stupid I know that!

LilyPilley Fri 21-Oct-11 19:46:14

My DD (16 weeks) never sits still or stops moving unless we're out and about. At home, everything's a fight (rocking her at this very moment whilst she squirms and wiggles). Tbh I'm exhausted! I do try to get out of the house 2/3 times a week but cant be on the move all the time. I've sat wishing for a baby that would sit with me, maybe even cuddle. I do think its boredom so I'm having to change the entertainment every 15 min or so. I'm hoping she'll grow to be calmer? Or else it better be a sign of intelligence. Sorry, no advice just sympathy .

Iggly Fri 21-Oct-11 20:33:59

What about using a sling? If you get a decent one, you should be able to walk around the shops no probs. DS didn't really get on with a pram etc until we could put him in an upright position.

Iggly Fri 21-Oct-11 20:35:01

Also you say she won't nap - she's probably a bit grumpy because not getting enough sleep so gets hyper and wants distracting.

JeelyPiece Fri 21-Oct-11 20:47:59

I have one like this smile your description is very familiar. I get comments from people like 'ooh he's a handful' and 'he's lively, isn't he?' as I juggle my 6mo around the place.

It can have me tearing my hair out but am trying to look on it as a positive - it means they're keen to get going with life!

Albrecht Sat 22-Oct-11 12:06:18

Another one here, except he also hated the car seat and pram - was only happy in the sling with you moving. I am 2 dress sizes smaller than pre-dc smile.

Grumpla Sat 22-Oct-11 12:08:50

You definitely need a sling!

MowlemB Sun 23-Oct-11 00:43:31

My DD1 was like that... always active and on the go. She would never lie down in anyone's arms... would always have to be up on people's shoulders so she could look around and god forbid anyone should sit down. Unfortunately for us, she hated the sling too (and I tried 3 different types). I never realised how much hard work she was until I had DD2 who was perfectly happy just to lie in a bouncy chair etc.

It does get easier. Honest. I found that DD loved being in the bouncy thing that dangles from the doorway, and then the activity stations etc. Luckily for me she was sitting at 4 1/2 months, so that made life a lot easier.

Fast forward 8 years, she is still the same - a whirlwind who just cannot sit. She now does competitive gymnastics and trains for 11 hours a week and is training to take her national grades (so competes at quite a high level).

I think some children are just like this.

lucindapie Sun 23-Oct-11 08:15:37

out of interest, does she have time to move by herself - e.g lying on a playmat and practising moving her body? I just wonder if that would tire her out, so she'd sleep better, and perhaps she wouldn't get so frustrated and expect YOU be moving all the time!

Familydilemma Sun 23-Oct-11 12:43:36

My dd2 is the same age and very similar. On the wait at school bit of the school run I constantly bouncing! Sling works well for us-I have a Kari-me stretchy wrap. Littlepossums.co.uk are great for advice and sales if you're after a sling.

Octaviapink Sun 23-Oct-11 13:20:26

Just a quickie - you don't need to wind her at 15 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now