Talk

Advanced search

9mo nappy time...

(9 Posts)
NeedToCreepZZZ Fri 21-Oct-11 09:27:55

Please help! My ds is almost 9 months and will NOT lie on his back to have his nappy changed, he rolls over and tries to crawl away (not crawling properly yet) and cries almost every time.
So far I have tried: giving him a toy to distract him, singing to him, playing boo with the (clean) nappy but nothing works. He cannot stand alone yet so can't change him standing up and the only thing that has worked is having someone else (OH) help by laying next to him and playing and blocking his escape route. Obviously as he works this is only an option 1% of the time.

Please give me your tips for how to get through this with minimum amount of poo and wee on the floor!

AKMD Fri 21-Oct-11 10:15:35

I put the changing mat on top of a chest of drawers so that he couldn't escape. That worked for a while but he still rolled over so I got a lovely long, dangling mobile and hung it up on the ceiling above the changing mat. He had a great time bashing it. By the time that stopped working he was able to stand up holding onto something so I changed him standing on the windowsill playing with the key in the lock blush

ReebleBeeble Fri 21-Oct-11 13:19:17

Ah, its not just my DD then! Drives you mad, doesnt it? So far the only thing that keeps her occupied is a phone. Mobile or landline. I'm just praying its a phase and doesnt last too long.

bankholiday Fri 21-Oct-11 17:57:38

DS (8 months) is the same, but he is crawling and before I know it he is in the middle of the room, naked bum in the air grin When I need him to be on his back (to take off the dirty nappy for example) I am kneeling and put him between my knees, so he can't roll (it sounds much worse than it is, I promise). Otherwise I let him roll onto his tummy, wipe his bum of any leftover poo grin and use pull ups, which I can put on even if he's not on his back. It is a struggle, but I'd struggle more if I tried to restrain him for longer, he is quite strong and can scream blue murder if he's not free to move.

I really, really hope this is just a phase...

NeedToCreepZZZ Fri 21-Oct-11 19:52:00

Glad to know I'm not alone with this! After the nightmare of today (poo just everywhere....) I think I'm going to try some pull ups. One good thing was when I changed him in a pubic loo today at least the strap across the changing table kept him in place, wish they did them for home use too grin

CurrantPun Fri 21-Oct-11 19:59:47

Ah, DS (13 months) is a nightmare to nappy change at the mo - there was poo all over his leg and the floor yesterday. Then, once I thought that I had cleaned up, he handed me something from the floor - it was a really little bit of poo grin.

We try to be firm with him, so that we get everything over with more quickly. I like the pullups idea though...

Pascha Fri 21-Oct-11 20:06:14

Can I just say that my son did this from about 9 months and now at 13 months he's much much better grin. I ended up pinning the little sod on the floor on his back with my feet on his shoulders and giving him keys to play with. Didn't work very well but he seems to have come out the other side and now lies (fairly) well.

Except at bathtime when he thinks it's hilarious to be chased naked down the hall with a shitty bum...

Octaviapink Sun 23-Oct-11 18:49:14

Lie him on the floor not a changing table/ raised surface, sit next to him and put your leg across his tummy so you're changing him from the side.

estya Sun 23-Oct-11 22:16:23

Glad I'm not alone - its so tiring to have to battle them several times a day, isn't it.

I have read of a changing mat with straps to hold them down (rather like a public changing table) but I have got to grips with putting a nappy on while she sits on my lap. I also sometimes change her while she has a bottle of water.

When your DS can stand it'll get easier - an activity table keeps their attention for just about long enough I found.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now