Talk

Advanced search

Good sources for unusual items for a Treasure Basket?

(11 Posts)
TimeWasting Thu 20-Oct-11 10:17:38

I'm re-stocking the Treasure Basket ready for when DC2 is big enough and would like to get some nice shells and maybe some other unusual items, particularly natural objects, but I don't want to spend a fortune.
Any suggestions?

AKMD Thu 20-Oct-11 11:03:30

A nice big pine cone, thoroughly washed.

A dried lavender bean-bag type thing.

A loofah.

A beach pebble with a hole all the way through it.

A wooden egg.

A set of plastic measuring spoons.

TimeWasting Thu 20-Oct-11 11:12:08

I like the lavender bag idea, I could make several with coffee beans, cardamom pods etc

Where do wooden eggs come from?

AKMD Thu 20-Oct-11 11:24:28

grin at the thought of your baby sucking the coffee bean one! It's a really good idea though.

I'm not sure where ours came from. I did a charity shop hunt and got lots of different things. You can certainly pick them up at Christmas craft fairs. I've also got a metal egg that has a pciture of flowers on the outside and splits in half. I picked that up from a chemist - it used to have soap in it smile

TimeWasting Thu 20-Oct-11 11:47:04

Yes, have to watch her with the coffee. grin

Charity shops is a good idea, we've a pretty good flea market here too I've not had a chance to get to in a while.

BlueChampagne Thu 20-Oct-11 13:04:10

ebay? freecycle?

milkyjo Thu 20-Oct-11 14:37:02

Large avocado stone, scouring pad (send shivers down my spine!), off cuts of pine from carpenter, sand down the sharp corners and rough edges?

suedehead Thu 20-Oct-11 21:56:07

i just bought a few bits from wilkinsons the other day to add to our treasure basket. pack of 24 dolly pegs for about £1, and the same for a 4 pack of those springy metal egg cups. i've given all the extra bits to other mum friends for their baskets.

and our local haberdasher does great mini bags of ribbon offcuts. again, for £1 i got 4 long bits of ribbon. a wide one, a narrow one, a lacy one and a rough one. i've tied them together at the end. DS loves it. oh and i got a free organza bag with some jewellery so i've filled that with cinnamon sticks.

other than that, the best source for treasure basket stuff has been my kitchen drawers!

cedmonds Sat 22-Oct-11 19:49:10

Cds,
washed used crisp packets
boxes.
DS loved the cats ball with a bell in(bought one for him)
Pebbles
empty bottles etc
Different textures of material
empty tin
tins with different things in ie pasta, rice stones etc.

Maryz Sat 22-Oct-11 19:55:52

When mine were little we didn't have "treasure baskets".

We had boxes of crap.

The favourite things in mine were a lemon or a grapefruit, a heavy block of smooth sanded wood and an old egg poacher from my mum (a sort of shallow saucepan with little containers that could be taken in and out; they loved it).

It also had wooden spoons, bits of material, a ball of wool, a bath brush (one of the wooden back scrubbing ones), pine cones, stones, an old shoe (great favourite that one, but it had been through the washing machine, honest), plastic cups and a small plastic tray.

Occasionally I would throw a few toys into it.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 22-Oct-11 20:13:59

Pumice stone, piece of velvet, a waxy candle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now