Talk

Advanced search

How do I change my baby's nappy?

(12 Posts)
Moulesfrites Thu 20-Oct-11 09:33:36

In all seriousness, he is 9 mo and nappy changes have become impossible. He twists and wriggles and rolls over and tries to sit up and crawl away. He puts his hands down and grabs his willy and puts his hands in his poo. Any tips?

ImpYCelyn Thu 20-Oct-11 09:39:41

If they're just wet I change DS standing up.

Dirty nappies are a twice daily battle. sad

Have you tried putting a toy (ideally with music and flashing lights) in his hands?

planetpotty Thu 20-Oct-11 09:46:48

I remember this! I got round it by
Buying pull ups and it was easiersmile

Bledkr Thu 20-Oct-11 09:48:00

Hilarious.Dd is the same age,nappy change or getting dressed is a major wrestling match,even calm dh gets frustrated.
I have a tip that works and i have 5 children. Change him on your lap,it works a treat.Takes a bit of practice but you will get it.

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Thu 20-Oct-11 09:49:29

It's simple, tether him to a table grin

Failing that a toy or wipe/clean nappy to play with worked for dd apart from when she fell off the changing table once

pallymama Thu 20-Oct-11 09:50:45

You could try teaching him "if you're happy and you know it" and encourage him to join in with the hand clapping. I did this with DD, which gave me about 20 seconds to get the change done.

DestinationUnknown Thu 20-Oct-11 09:54:21

I remember this - quite stressful dealing with a surprisingly strong wriggly baby and a poo-filled nappy.

You could try changing him on the floor, sit with your leg over him to keep him from crawling off (give him a toy or three as well) and you effectively then have made a barrier between his top and bottom halves so the hands can't get in the nappy either. Good at home, less good in a public loo!

faverolles Thu 20-Oct-11 09:54:30

Keep some really interesting toys out of the way, then give him one for nappy change times. At the moment, I give DS one of his brothers toy cars, and watch him like a hawk and whip it away as soon as the new nappy is on.
For ds2, we had to buy pull-up style nappies and change him standing up, as there was absolutely no way we could lie him down.

Someone should invent a changing mat with a straight jacket attached. They would be millionaires grin

Moulesfrites Thu 20-Oct-11 10:11:31

Ooh I like the sitting with my leg across him idea. I did just try changing him on the floor sort of straddling him facing his feet, he started patting me on the bum which he found hilarious! Will look out for some special nappy time toys too! Thanks for tips!

TheSkiingGardener Thu 20-Oct-11 10:23:34

I sang. Repeatedly. I think for a while I was living in a musical.

Worked though.

Bledkr Thu 20-Oct-11 10:39:15

Haha you could then fart if he still struggled grin

guthriegirl Thu 20-Oct-11 11:10:17

My 10 month old son is exactly the same. I can be found chasing him round the sofa trying to wipe the poo off his backside. At home I put him under his baby gym. The lights distract him long enough to fasten one side and then I stand him up to do the other ( and sort out the first side properly!). Although it's a nightmare I quite enjoy watching my OH struggle even more when he does the final nappy of the day at night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now