Talk

Advanced search

Does DD have OCD??

(5 Posts)
Pigleychez Wed 19-Oct-11 22:25:21

DD1 is 3.2 and has always been a fussy child but lately has been even worse.

We have major tantrums because the teddy is facing the wrong way, There's a hair on her toy, Her toenails are too long, I don't want to see that teddy tonight, there's fluff on the carpet.
Its random things really. Apart from hair/fluff/dirt that has been an issue since forever!

Is this normal? Its like she decides she doesn't like something and just goes into a complete drama about it. She so obsessive it scary! She will wake then wake you up with her screaming because there's some dirt on her bedroom carpet.

Is she destined to been OCD when shes older?

madwomanintheattic Wed 19-Oct-11 22:27:33

nah. she's just 3. and seeing how well she can control you/ the world. very important developmental stage. wink

lots of kids have particular issues with dirt and germs. desensitise now or it will get worse. <nods sagely>

oldmum42 Thu 20-Oct-11 14:50:05

Sounds a little more extreme than the average, may be "normal", may indicate issues. How do you feel she's developing, generally?

Whats she like with food? Does she have rules about foods not touching each other, are certain textures liked/hated?

Socially, how is she coping? Plays better with her own age group, or happier with younger/older children (or adults)?

Advanced language skills? Average? Late Talker?

I think looking at all areas of her development thus far will give you the info you need to decide if this is "normal" obsessive behavior or part of a bigger picture.....

2kidsintow Sat 22-Oct-11 22:25:38

OMG....it was socks in my house that were the problem.
DD2 absolutely would not entertain wearing any type of sock that had a seam inside the toes at the end. Try finding pairs without them!!! And everytime I found a pair that she would wear we'd be ok for a week or so, then she'd claim they were uncomfortable too. Gaaah!

She grew out of it, thankfully.
Cost me a fortune in socks though.

ihatethecold Sun 23-Oct-11 15:13:48

she sounds a little like my ds 11
he doesnt like foods touching each other. no labels inside clothes. likes to line things up
duvet has to be exactly straight on the bed
no hair sticking up on his head!
thankfully its not too bad now he is a bit older.
have you read a book called the highly sensitive child ?
that may give you some insight into her behaviour.
you have my sympathies... i know how wearing it can be.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now