Talk

Advanced search

Night time screaming 2.5 yr old

(4 Posts)
Dizzle Wed 19-Oct-11 19:28:29

My son habitually wakes in the night screaming, he's awake but is inconsolable sometimes for a couple of hours on and off. He's normally ok if me or my DH go in to his room but screams as soon as we leave.

Advice please! How long should we leave going in to him,if we should be going in at all. Is it night terrors? No idea how to handle it and desperately don't want to make it worse

belledechocchipcookie Wed 19-Oct-11 23:43:20

It sounds like a night terror. A lot of children have these and they do grow out of them. I would go in to comfort him and then leave. Does he had a nightlight? This may help, there can be a lot of scary shadows in a bedroom when it's dark. Reassure him, tell him that everything's OK. smile

SurprisEs Wed 19-Oct-11 23:48:39

DD does this at the moment, she's 2.3.
It seems to happen when she does a wee. I think she is beginning to realise what's going on (already out of nappies in the day) and wakes up quite frightened about the sudden disturbance.

I'm not sure though... She makes her way tithe toilet sometimes which makes me think this is the case. But she won't tell me what's wrong as she is half asleep.

madwomanintheattic Thu 20-Oct-11 03:09:58

night terrors.

sometimes distraction like going for a wee can help them out of it, but there's not a lot that can be done.

it's exhausting, but usually only lasts 6 mos or so, coinciding supposedly with the period they start to develop imagination or somesuch. dd2 certainly outgrew hers after around six months, but it was hellish whilst it lasted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now