Talk

Advanced search

DD hates going in a buggy...any ideas???

(11 Posts)
mendipgirl Tue 18-Oct-11 09:39:25

I think I brought this on myself to be honest, when DD2 was born I had her mainly in a sling as I had DD1 in the buggy so they were both under control (until I became more confident with two and DD1 realised she couldn't run off at a whim) anyway I have been trying to get DD2 used to the buggy now for a couple of months and she won't sit in it for more than 30-40 mins without having a meltdown.

She is 8 months, I try having distractions, toys, snacks and these work for a bit but eventually she starts screaming and it is unbearable (she has a great set of lungs bless her!). Usually I am in the middle of town, rushing desperately to get back to the car as everyone is staring at me and this poor screaming baby (making me feel like a terrible mother).

She is getting too heavy for the sling for a long period of time and I really need her to get used to it. Any ideas, anyone had a a similar problem, will she get used to it if I just persevere???

LoonyRationalist Tue 18-Oct-11 10:09:33

Short walks in the pushchair, doing something fun, feeding the ducks or something. She doesn't sound comfprtable or happy. Have you experimented with having her facing you/away. Buggy snuggles etc. To be frank no babies like being stuck in a pushchair whilst out shopping.

grumplestilskin Tue 18-Oct-11 10:11:11

30-40 mins is a long time to be fair, I just accepted that town trips now take hours because they have to be broken up with costas and soft plays etc every 30 mins

grumplestilskin Tue 18-Oct-11 10:13:45

and try a check up at a chiro or osteopath maybe? mine was the otherway didn't like being picked up (you could hear/feel his back clicking when you picked him up from under his arms) till I took him to a chiro and now he's fine with it andIhalf--wish--I--hadn't--cause--now--he--asks--to--be--picked--up--all--the--time--and--is--bloody--heavy so sometimes certain positions are uncomfy for a good reason, just like they can be for grown ups! when I had a coccyx injury I couldn't sit for as long as 30 mins sometimes

Octaviapink Tue 18-Oct-11 12:08:21

Backpack?

AKMD Tue 18-Oct-11 12:19:39

Smart Trike? Expensive if it doesn't work though!

grumplestilskin Tue 18-Oct-11 13:32:40

smart trike is hard work to push and carries one shopping bad and a few other bits, no good for shopping.

oldmum42 Tue 18-Oct-11 13:44:04

Is the seat of the pushchair facing you? For younger babies, this is far more comforting while out and about - they can see you, and interact with you, so will be happier for longer.

Josieannathe2nd Tue 18-Oct-11 15:29:51

Try a mei-tai - great for bigger babies as you can carry them on your back (or any other sling/wrap where they can go on your back). It might be the easy way out but then you could have them in the pushchair for 30-40 mins and then carry them for the rest of the time, and put your shopping in the pushchair!

RitaMorgan Tue 18-Oct-11 15:34:24

To be honest I think 40 minutes is a fair time to be sitting quietly in the buggy! I also found a back carry better at this age - I have a Beco Butterfly which is very comfy and easy to use.

mendipgirl Tue 18-Oct-11 16:58:22

Yeah, I think I may have to change my expectations, 30 mins is a long time for a baby to do one thing I guess. Thanks for the suggestions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: