Talk

Advanced search

DD hates going in a buggy...any ideas???

(11 Posts)
mendipgirl Tue 18-Oct-11 09:39:25

I think I brought this on myself to be honest, when DD2 was born I had her mainly in a sling as I had DD1 in the buggy so they were both under control (until I became more confident with two and DD1 realised she couldn't run off at a whim) anyway I have been trying to get DD2 used to the buggy now for a couple of months and she won't sit in it for more than 30-40 mins without having a meltdown.

She is 8 months, I try having distractions, toys, snacks and these work for a bit but eventually she starts screaming and it is unbearable (she has a great set of lungs bless her!). Usually I am in the middle of town, rushing desperately to get back to the car as everyone is staring at me and this poor screaming baby (making me feel like a terrible mother).

She is getting too heavy for the sling for a long period of time and I really need her to get used to it. Any ideas, anyone had a a similar problem, will she get used to it if I just persevere???

LoonyRationalist Tue 18-Oct-11 10:09:33

Short walks in the pushchair, doing something fun, feeding the ducks or something. She doesn't sound comfprtable or happy. Have you experimented with having her facing you/away. Buggy snuggles etc. To be frank no babies like being stuck in a pushchair whilst out shopping.

grumplestilskin Tue 18-Oct-11 10:11:11

30-40 mins is a long time to be fair, I just accepted that town trips now take hours because they have to be broken up with costas and soft plays etc every 30 mins

grumplestilskin Tue 18-Oct-11 10:13:45

and try a check up at a chiro or osteopath maybe? mine was the otherway didn't like being picked up (you could hear/feel his back clicking when you picked him up from under his arms) till I took him to a chiro and now he's fine with it andIhalf--wish--I--hadn't--cause--now--he--asks--to--be--picked--up--all--the--time--and--is--bloody--heavy so sometimes certain positions are uncomfy for a good reason, just like they can be for grown ups! when I had a coccyx injury I couldn't sit for as long as 30 mins sometimes

Octaviapink Tue 18-Oct-11 12:08:21

Backpack?

AKMD Tue 18-Oct-11 12:19:39

Smart Trike? Expensive if it doesn't work though!

grumplestilskin Tue 18-Oct-11 13:32:40

smart trike is hard work to push and carries one shopping bad and a few other bits, no good for shopping.

oldmum42 Tue 18-Oct-11 13:44:04

Is the seat of the pushchair facing you? For younger babies, this is far more comforting while out and about - they can see you, and interact with you, so will be happier for longer.

Josieannathe2nd Tue 18-Oct-11 15:29:51

Try a mei-tai - great for bigger babies as you can carry them on your back (or any other sling/wrap where they can go on your back). It might be the easy way out but then you could have them in the pushchair for 30-40 mins and then carry them for the rest of the time, and put your shopping in the pushchair!

RitaMorgan Tue 18-Oct-11 15:34:24

To be honest I think 40 minutes is a fair time to be sitting quietly in the buggy! I also found a back carry better at this age - I have a Beco Butterfly which is very comfy and easy to use.

mendipgirl Tue 18-Oct-11 16:58:22

Yeah, I think I may have to change my expectations, 30 mins is a long time for a baby to do one thing I guess. Thanks for the suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now