Talk

Advanced search

Bit of a rant - apologies!

(11 Posts)
first1 Tue 18-Oct-11 05:52:23

But how tall is too tall?

I'm getting really tired of everyone saying about dd "oh isn't she tall", "she's huge", "such a big girl" as the first thing they say when they see her.

Dd is approaching 17months. At 15months she was measured as being 80cms. Cant remember the centile off the top of my head, but is 50th centile for weight. She's in her right
size clothes.

I know noone means anything hurtful but it - irrationally perhaps - does bother me that that's what people feel they can blurt out. I'm worried she'll be bullied at school.

Btw, I'm only 5'4 and exH is 5'11.

mousesma Tue 18-Oct-11 05:59:24

My DD was 75cm at 14 months but she is a bit short and all her trousers are too long for her. Sounds like your DD is normal height but I wouldn't worry about peoples comments they're just making conversation and people always feel they have to make some comment about DC.
Also as height is seen as a desirable commodity they probably think they are paying a compliment.

Atomant Tue 18-Oct-11 06:10:57

I get this all the time with DD she's on 98th percentile for height DH & I are average height (as are our parents). Have to say it doesn't bother me at all. Yes she is currently taller by a few inches than her peers but who cares? She's only 2.5yo at the moment though so I can't comment on long term issues, it's definitely not an issue at the moment other than people thinking she's older than she is. She's been in mostly 2-3 clothes from @ 18mo although that's shop dependent, I still find some 2-3 clothes are too big for her.
She has lovely long legs which I'm sure she'll benefit from later in life. either that or her height will settle to be average height. Interestingly our DD was born a few weeks early on the 2nd percentile.

TBH kids will always find something to pick on, until it happens (hopefully not!) it's not worth worrying about, just enjoy this wonderful time with your DD, 17mo is a great age.

Atomant Tue 18-Oct-11 06:13:46

& I'd agree with mousesma, it's never said to us in a malicious way, only ever meant as a compliment by other adults, and only after someone asks how old she is.

TanteRose Tue 18-Oct-11 06:22:37

My DD was always at least a head taller than all her friends at nursery.

At 18 months, people would try to talk to her as if she was about 3 years old...

She was tall at primary school, but her friends started to catch up a bit in Years 5 and 6. She never once minded being called big, or tall or huge! Like the OP, it was me who was worried...

She is now 13 and 172 cms (about 5'8'') and gorgeous grin

We are in Japan, so her height is even more unusual.

amyboo Tue 18-Oct-11 10:52:40

Just ignore everyone's comments. DS was 56cm and 4.7kg (10lb3oz) at birth and everyone and their mothers always says what a big baby he is. It used to drive me mental! Now I just politely smile and nod (and ignore them!).

FWIW, DS (now 19 months) is still super-tall at 88cm, but his weight has completely evened out. He's gone from being off the charts for both height and weight to being on the 70th centile for weight and about the 95th centile for height. His top half is very long, and he has to wear age 2-3 jumpers/T-shirts, but his legs are pretty short and he still wears 12-18 month trousers.

He's a head taller than his friends at creche, but I don't care. He's lovely and is my beautiful tall baby boy smile Every child is different, and just cos your DD is tall now doesn't mean she'll stay that way. I was always the tallest in my class at primary school and never got bullied for it...

first1 Tue 18-Oct-11 16:08:53

Thanks ladies, I knew mn would chill me out. First time mum and probably over sensitive! My dd is blooming gorgeous grin

DeWe Tue 18-Oct-11 19:35:33

Dd1 was very tall until she was about 6-7. She was the tallest in the form in reception, but by y2 was just above average. She is now below the average in her form now in y6.
Dd2 has always been very tall, but just recently has not grown quite as much and one or two are beginning to catch up with her now in y3.
They're almost the same height despite 3 years between them.

Both of them I've had comments "aren't they tall" all along, but also with ds who is perfectly average height and always has been. confused

Loika Wed 19-Oct-11 12:19:28

Nod, Smile and Say Yes!
It worked for all the foreign students at Uni!

I was 5ft7 aged 11 and my DD is 98th centile so far but 50-75th for weight. If they are going to be tall, then thats life(start saving up for the exlong trousers!) and when I was a kid, something positive. Its just people trying to think of things to say half the time. Don't worry about bullying, if she is a strong character with good social skills she will be fine, whatever height she ends up.

Piggychunk Wed 19-Oct-11 12:58:32

My ds who is 3.8 is about the size of a 2 .5 yr old. We get isn't he small daily he is between 9th- 25th centile and I ffing hate it.. So I feel your pain even though its the other way round

ColdToast Wed 19-Oct-11 13:05:05

I think people just tend to pick one characteristic to comment on as a way of making conversation. My dd is tall. I haven't had her measured for a long time but when she recently had her 1st birthday, most people assumed it was her 2nd birthday.

I've noticed that as her hair is starting to grow properly, people are now using that as a conversation-starter instead. It's usually meant kindly or as a compliment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now