Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Reading?

(14 Posts)
Hanwell1 Sun 16-Oct-11 14:23:36

What age should you begin to teach your child to read or should or should you leave it to the schools?

Seona1973 Sun 16-Oct-11 14:31:22

ds knew a couple of words like his name, mum, dad, etc but is being taught to read at school

kelloo1 Sun 16-Oct-11 15:29:07

my ds is 2.7 and we read A LOT to him. he recognises some basic words in his favourite books. We've just started using flash cards too. I would like to teach him to read as early as possible, I could read most of the ladybird books (elves and the shoemaker, red riding hood etc) when i started school and i'd like him to be the same. I won't push him though but he's really into books anyway and his nursery encourage a lot of reading so it shouldn't be too hard when it comes to teaching him. That's my thoery anyway! I think it all depends on the childs ability really and if they're into reading. Some kids aren't interested.

Octaviapink Mon 17-Oct-11 08:14:28

Schools mostly prefer children not to be able to read when they show up (creates problems for teachers), but I'm not letting their opinion stop me... DD is 2.5 and loves books, so we do bits of the phonetic alphabet as and when she's interested. She doesn't yet understand that putting the letter-sounds together results in word-sounds, though.

BlueberryPancake Mon 17-Oct-11 09:48:27

In nursery, they play games such as I Spy, and are exposed to lots books and stories and nursery rhymes, which is very important. At Reception, they play more letter games, and learn that letters make words, and they learn rhyming words. From January, in Nursery, they will start on phonics, with songs and signs (using the jolly phonics method at our school). Then they will learn how to blend the sounds together and sound out three-letter words (mum, dad, dog, cat, etc). At the end of Reception, they should be able to sound out more words on their own, and blend them. And from year one, they start reading short simple sentences. Then they learn more complex words and are encouraged to read every day, and learn to write by forming the letters correctly. From then on they progress very quickly in my experience. In no time they are able to read books with some help.

In my eldest son's class, there were three or four children who could read a bit before starting reception, and one of them could read very confidently at the age of five. My eldest learned most of his phonics at school and with support at home, whereas my youngest can already read simple books and he is 4.5. He listed and joined in when DS1 was learning at home and he picked it up very quickly.

In my experience, it's not true that teachers prefer that children can't read before starting big school. DS2 can read (in reception) and the teacher is very supportive in giving him books and supporting him in class. I think they are keen that parents use the phonics method, as it is generally the method used in schools.

I think that teaching children to read before they start school is up to the parents and there is no right or wrong. But now, DS1 can read as well as the little girl who could read before starting school. They do catch up, especially if they are interested in books and keen on reading.

AKMD Mon 17-Oct-11 14:21:40

My mum teaches 4-5 year olds. This came up a while ago on AIBU, I asked her opinion and she said she would love it if a child came to her class able to read. It would be a bit lazy for a teacher to be cross that a child could already do something that they would have taught them.

Octaviapink Mon 17-Oct-11 14:56:43

I only know that I've heard teachers complain that it creates a huge differential in the class's abilities for that section of the day, and the ones who can read can end up getting bored and disruptive. Best case scenario is that they aren't encouraged/stretched any further, they're just left to do their own thing and read to themselves - which is why everyone else catches up.

AKMD Mon 17-Oct-11 15:00:36

I know, lots of people seem to say that - their DC are left to do their own thing. I know state education has its limits but it really does seem poor if the teacher doesn't plan extension activities for these children to build on what they already know.

Octaviapink Mon 17-Oct-11 15:05:16

I think class sizes are so big and there's so much emphasis on bringing on less able children that children who are already some way ahead just get left - I don't think teachers have got time for that level of individual attention.

witchwithallthetrimmings Mon 17-Oct-11 15:07:45

teach other literacy skills instead, get them to make up stories or listen to you read a book without pictures. it is really hard to teach these in school and they are almost as important as learning to decode and write

tostaky Mon 17-Oct-11 15:10:45

So phonics methods is the best?
DS1 is obsessed with books (he’s almost 3) and I keep thinking I should start teaching him how to read so I could get some peace and quiet!! Im sure he is going to be one of those little boy happy to read on his bed for a couple of hours.
We have an ipad game where he has to trace the letters with his fingers and recognise the letter on the screen (the ipad play the letter sound) – he is not very good at it yet but really always want to play that particular game.
I also try to make him recognise the letters of the alphabet (he can recognise the letters of his name) but im a bit stuck for ideas apart from that…
He is a November baby so he wont get into reception before he’ll be almost 5, which I think is a shame because he really likes books.

Any good phonics methods? Should I look online or are they books and exercise books about it?

AKMD Mon 17-Oct-11 15:21:53

Definitely use phonics. Learning the 'names' of the letters won't help with reading because the names and the sounds they make are usually completely different. There are lots of books out there, although I don't know enough about them to recommend anything off the top of my head.

Octaviapink Mon 17-Oct-11 15:39:08

The Jolly Phonics series is used a lot, I believe. But it's easy enough to start with recognising the letters and knowing the sounds they make.

An0therName Mon 17-Oct-11 18:58:51

Definatly phonics as that is what they will be using at school
If your DC is interested then have a go -my DS was not in the least bit intersted until school.
the alpha blocks on cbeebies website is a nice way to hear the sounds
but I think early reading is a bit like early talking or walking - its nice for the parents but normally doesn't imply much about a child ability eg most children will catch up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now