Talk

Advanced search

question about babies pulling up to standing

(11 Posts)
gobblygook Sat 15-Oct-11 09:23:10

Hi all

I've been reading that babies 'should' be able to pull up to standing before their first birthday.

Do they mean on their own? Without support?

My 10.5 month DS isn't even crawling yet! Well, he is definitely getting there and making crawls backwards and then can bring himself back to sitting...he likes to be pulled to standing but couldn't possibly do it on his own....

Is that a concern?

Also, when he does get pulled to standing, his legs don't always bend. They seem to lock a bit/stiff - is that normal.

Sorry PFB blush and neurotic mother blush

juneau Sat 15-Oct-11 09:35:38

Ask your HV or GP if you're worried. 'Normal' for one child is not for another. My DS1 crawled and pulled to standing (on his own) at six months. My friends DS2 was still sitting on the floor at 18 months and didn't walk for ages because his big brother fetched things for him and he is now a perfectly normal, active six-year-old. But if you have specific concerns about his knees I would ask a professional to take a look.

Applegirl33 Sat 15-Oct-11 10:16:21

Sounds normal to me, especially the legs locking. But perhaps make a GP appointment to get hips checked. One of ours had a dislocated hip which caused slowness to crawl. It was easily fixed with a few months splinting but if it had been left longer may have caused major problems.

ragged Sat 15-Oct-11 10:19:19

Weight bearing is the main thing at this age, I should think.
DC have a 2nd cousin who didn't walk independently until 20 months, he's 9.5yo now and fine, no problems.

gobblygook Sat 15-Oct-11 11:56:48

He does weight bear - with just holding onto tips of my fingers, he can stand for quite a while. Does that qualify as weight bearing?

How would I know if he has hip problems? Any signs?

Octaviapink Sat 15-Oct-11 12:50:32

My 10.5m DS has just learnt to pull up and is starting to work out cruising but is nowhere near crawling - TBH I doubt he will as he seems completely uninterested. What I mean is that your DS may also be uninterested in crawling but will probably be pulling up in a couple of weeks. He's still got six weeks before his birthday! His legs will lock - in fact when they first start to pull up their biggest problem can be how to get back down again because their legs aren't bent and they don't know how to make them.

RickGhastley Sat 15-Oct-11 12:52:45

Sounds pretty normal to me!

DS never ever crawled or pulled himself to standing. I was quite worried and the HV did not help with "oh he should be doing blah by now".

He just got up and walked at 14 months!

chickentikkatellmethetruth Sat 15-Oct-11 12:54:09

Dd1 crawled at nearly 12 mo, pulled up and cruised at 13mo and walked at 15mo. Normal.

Dd2 crawled at 9mo, pulled up and cruised at 10mo and walked at 13mo. Also normal smile

Don't worry at all (easy to say I know, I was a chronic worrier about dd1 but she got there ok)

naturalbaby Sat 15-Oct-11 13:01:13

my pfb only started moving/crawling/sitting doing stuff around this age, and only because all other babies his age were crawling and i'd had enough of sitting around waiting! then there was no stopping him.

ds3 is 8months and has been crawling and pulling up to stand for weeks, and is now cruising. he's trying to catch up with his big brothers.

MrsDobalina Sat 15-Oct-11 14:58:37

Hips are checked at the 9mo developmental check so if your DS was fine, be reassured! I know quite a few babies who barely crawled by 15 months let alone stood. This developmental bit seems to happen overnight sometimes - DD only pulled herself to standing two days ago (almost 10mo) and is now cruising (and covered in bruises hmm) I think the later they start the faster they progress!

milkyjo Sat 15-Oct-11 15:47:30

Don't worry, my DS is 10 months and not crawling and definitely nowhere near pulling himself up. He can stand for long periods though like yours and yes this is weight bearing. DS likes to drop things, bend his knees then push himself back up to standing. DS hips were not checked at 9 months development check. I think only a doctor would do this? I have no concerns about hip problems its just that babies develop in their own time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now