Talk

Advanced search

11 month old biting - normal?

(5 Posts)
matana Fri 14-Oct-11 07:15:01

My DS has always chewed and bitten objects but now he bites people. Yesterday 2 other babies he goes to the CM with of a similar age went home with bit marks blush He didn't draw blood but when he does it it bloody hurts! I've noticed he has three more teeth coming through at the top, but really just wanted some reassurance that this is normal and he'll grow out of it. I don't want to raise a bully! Also, is there anything else i can do (other than saying "ouch! No!") to teach him not to do it?

oldmum42 Fri 14-Oct-11 09:10:19

DS4 is just coming up for 12mo, and has started this - has actually drawn blood. Several teeth coming through as well, so I suppose that's the cause. Feeling sad about it as still BF and have been expressing for the past few days to keep the milk going (he won't feed without biting), but don't think I can keep it up much longer. No advice, but the shouting/sounding cross doesn't seem to work, he just laughs. DH thought it amusing until DS4 crawled up to him and bit his foot really hard last night!
It won't make your DS a bully, he will grow out of it, lot's of kids do it for a short time and most stop pretty fast (DS1, 2 and 3 all had minor bouts of biting).

DrDolittle Fri 14-Oct-11 09:13:43

DS went through same thing. Dealt with by over-hammed shows of sympathy for the victim and a stern 'NO'. Grew out of it after a few months and is now extremely affectionate.

Firsttimer7259 Fri 14-Oct-11 09:18:20

Biting at this age is pretty much normal. So dont fret about bullying etc. Although you do need to gte the message through that this is not a good thing and you are not pleased with him when he does it. The tricky thing is that disapproval is attention and young kiddies can be pleased about the attention. So be disapproving but calm and matter of fact and dont dwell on it. Tell him dont bite people and give him something else to bite instead.
Obviously apologise to other parents where possible. But dont get into the habit of elaborately telling your son off so other parents can see you are doing this. Pointless.

gitinora Sat 15-Oct-11 21:15:04

my 9 month old has bitten me twice this week. I have moved him away from me and said a stern No. If you do the same thing each time they soon learn its not the right thing to do. lots of babies go through a biting stage they soon grow out of it so dont worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now