Talk

Advanced search

going up? at the end of every sentence? driving me insane?

(2 Posts)
Thirstysomething Wed 12-Oct-11 17:51:16

My four year old has just started school and now her intonation goes up at the end of every sentence. I thought that was just teenagers who watched too many Australian soaps or American Valley Girl tv...
Any ideas how to stop it? I tried just mentioning it, but she doesn't really understand. I would just ignore it as a phase, but it is nearly half term and it is just getting worse! I don't know why I find it so annoying...

BlueBumedFly Wed 12-Oct-11 22:17:56

My dd has also just started school too and she starts every sentence with 'did you know' which is sending me doolally. I know its a phase and I should stop letting it grate on my last nerve but it does.

I guess with your DD that the teachers all speak in a very 'encouraging' way and do go up at the end of every sentence or at least have a fairly lighthearted tone 'are you looking at that book?' 'is that fun'? 'are you playing nicely' so I think they emulate the people they look up to (apart from Mummy of course!). However, yes, totally irritating.

I know my DDs teacher does not start every sentence with 'did you know' but I am guessing another child does hence the emulation. Over the weekend she does drop it so perhaps a whole week at half term can get it kicked!

Still, I am sure there will be another thing just around the corner!

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now