Talk

Advanced search

Can your almost 4 year old wipe their own bottom?

(8 Posts)
tryingtobemarypoppins2 Tue 11-Oct-11 20:59:18

If so, how exactly did you teach them!?

NickNacks Tue 11-Oct-11 21:04:19

I taught mine my letting them have a go first and me checking and finishing it for them if needed. Wet wipes (flushable toilet wipes) are easy for them and they just get better with practise.

mamasmissionimpossible Tue 11-Oct-11 21:08:42

My dd 3.8 can't (yet!) I'm trying to train her, as the constant calling out for me to do it, is driving me bonkers. I'm sure she could if she tried.

Rooble Tue 11-Oct-11 21:11:42

Mine couldn't, but I taught him in time for school by doing exactly what NickNacks said. So by about 4.5. Made him be v scrupulous about washing his hands too.

GuillotinedMaryLacey Tue 11-Oct-11 21:20:45

DD has pretty much been wiping hers since she came out of nappies. I use the benign neglect method. Let her do it and cast an eye over the job. She's 3.9 now and seems to have it all under control. She asks for help if it's particularly messy but otherwise no skidmarks.

rookiemater Tue 11-Oct-11 21:21:33

Bribery

FreakoidOrganisoid Tue 11-Oct-11 21:32:57

He can do it (and does at preschool) but prefers to sit there yelling "I've fiiiiiinnnnniiiiiisssshhhhhhhheeeeeeeeddd" at top volume. Followed by cries of "Mummy come and wipe my bottom" if I'm not quick enough. The man next door thinks it's hilarious. Or he did a few months ago, he's probably bored of it now grin

Mobly Wed 12-Oct-11 10:16:56

Just let them have a go and then check. My DS is 3.8 and he would rather do it himself. It does usually need wiping again though but he is getting there.

Agree with using baby wipes/wet wipes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now