Talk

Advanced search

My DS only seems to like playing with girls -is this normal behaviour?

(8 Posts)
LEMONADEGIRL Tue 11-Oct-11 19:58:38

My DS, alomost 5 started reception in September. He seems happy enough but only ever talks about girls. He only seems to like playing with them to. Its great that he can talk to people but is this normal?

At home he is quite boysterious and plays with typical boys toys etc but find it odd that he only seems to be able to make friends with girls.

Has anyone else got experience of this?

thanks

ScaredBear Tue 11-Oct-11 20:28:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LEMONADEGIRL Tue 11-Oct-11 20:49:25

well "boys toys "such as Ben 10 and Power Rangers etc

I understand that boys play tends to be more rough less verbal etc am just worried that in the future girls tend to stick with girls and he will end up getting left out etc

I am not trying to start a gender debate just thinking about my lovely boy

faverolles Tue 11-Oct-11 20:58:07

He'll be fine smile
He's only been at school a few weeks. IME it takes a year or two before they properly settle into friendships.

lizzie83 Tue 11-Oct-11 21:06:19

i have been a nanny for 10 years andin my experience boys tend to play with girls when they are small and then from the age of about six they think girls are silly and start playing with boys and vice versa. i have found that in new situations such as starting school and nursery boys do get on better with girls as maybe they are more welcoming and friendly. i once looked after twins who would only talk about girls they played with at school then overnight it changed. i hope this makes sense and helps.

strandednomore Tue 11-Oct-11 21:09:17

My dd is 6, in Yr1 and probably 4 out of her best friends, including her very best friend, are boys. I am more than happy - I think boys are much nicer than girls at this age, so much more straightforward!
Anyway, don't worry about it, he's made friends, that's great!

MumblingAndBloodyRagDoll Tue 11-Oct-11 23:58:18

My nephew is 8 and his best friend is Lilly. But he also has boy friends too now...from about 4 he was playing only with girls...now he has stopped playing with them all bar Lilly (we think they'll marry one day grin ) he loves footy and is normal and popular.

LEMONADEGIRL Fri 14-Oct-11 19:51:49

thanks you for all your lovley replies - i worry too much (:

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now