Talk

Advanced search

Grunting baby?

(6 Posts)
ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Tue 11-Oct-11 13:46:50

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place, perhaps this should have gone in feeding, I'm not sure...

My almost 3week old DS is constantly grunting. I have no idea what it means or if it's normal. Is it symptomatic of just simple wind or something else like a reflux?

He is formula fed on C&G, taking 4oz every four hours, but the past two days seems to be alot hungrier so I'm thinking of moving to stage 2 milk as I'm wary of feeding him to great a quantity at once.

He isn't a particularly sicky baby, doesn't bring much back up at all. He was very stubborn with his wind so we started using infacol but since he was on it his poos reduced to just one a day so I stopped using it as I was wary of constipation. Now if I'm really religious with winding I can get up quite a few burps during and after every feed without the need for the infacol but he still seems to grunt all the time.

The only time he doesn't is if he's asleep on my chest. It seems to be constant if he's sleeping on his back. so I have just done a little experiment and put him to sleep on his front, and he has been asleep for half an hour without grunting once and the little man is flat out smile but I'm not happy about him sleeping on his front in the night when I am asleep and can't keep an eye on him as obviously this isn't the safest position.

If anyone has any experience with a grunty baby your advice would be fantastic smile What is it? Is it normal? What can I do to prevent it? Should I up his milk to 5oz or change to hungry baby keeping it at 4oz? (not a question related to grunting!)

TIA

oldmum42 Tue 11-Oct-11 17:18:22

Mmmmm. It's probably nothing but I suggest a visit to the GP (not HV) and describe all this.... Including the fact that it's happening even after winded properly. He/she may decide investigations are needed to rule out any physical causes.
did DS grunt in hospital after birth? My eldest did for several days and then it decreased and stopped after a few weeks, it was years ago but I remember they checked his heart as it can be a sign of a problem, rarely. In the end they said maybe some meconium had got in his lungs? Was fine anyway.

It could just be the formula is not suiting him... Any signs of bloating, pain, bad nappy rash..... If so it might be worth swapping to Comfort milk which might suit him better.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Tue 11-Oct-11 18:26:12

He did grunt when he was born and it was decided that he'd just swallowed my fluid and was a case of wet lungs. he stopped after a couple of hours and the paed dr was happy with him.

he also had a chest xray after birth and an NG tube as i had polyhydramnious. all was clear.

no signs of bloating, rashes etc. doesnt seem in pain, hardly ever cries smile

mrshotrod Tue 11-Oct-11 19:51:44

Both mine were very grunty (goat) babies. DS had to go in his own room at 3 weeks old (I felt terrible!) cos even when he was asleep, we couldn't cos he was so noisy.
It seems to be very common, and he did grow out of it as he got bigger. Think it's because their nasal tubes etc are small. Goat baby number two arrived this year, and she was just the same. She stayed in our room though and her grunting lessened by two months and then went completely.

madwomanintheattic Tue 11-Oct-11 19:54:41

we called ds1 goat-boy. grin

he was grunty, the girl's weren't.

no idea about necessity for further investigations tbh - it just lessened over the months and disappeared.

madwomanintheattic Tue 11-Oct-11 19:55:06

lor'. random apostrophe grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now