Talk

Advanced search

How can I teach my 4 year old how to blow his nose?

(11 Posts)
ladyintheradiator Tue 11-Oct-11 09:56:12

He just doesn't seem to 'get' it - we have tried blowing bits of tissue paper around first by blowing with our mouths, then noses, but he always exhales instead - also tried asking him to blow into a tissue so my hand moves, practiced lots of sniffing and then blowing so he can differentiate but he still really struggles, any tips??

WowOoo Tue 11-Oct-11 17:12:40

My 5 year old still can't blow his either. He's been succesful ONCE. Will keep trying! It's all I can do..

ladyintheradiator Tue 11-Oct-11 20:45:53

Ah, well it's good to know he's not alone, some friends just did this face hmm when I asked them for tips! Poor thing really tries and then says 'oh mummy, maybe I'll do it when I'm older'...

ihatecbeebies Tue 11-Oct-11 23:41:21

My 4 year old won't sniff, instead he'll blow out of his nose and pretend he's smelled it hmm

catrin Tue 11-Oct-11 23:54:04

It's not a natural thing at that age -plus it doesn't matter to a child. It will come with time.

bex2011 Wed 12-Oct-11 20:25:48

I'm not recommending this, but I can clearly remember my gran teaching me to blow my nose by getting me to blow out candles with my nose!

cherub59 Wed 12-Oct-11 21:51:53

We had to teach ds1 age 3 1/2 to blow out thru his nose as he has glue ear and the ent guy recommended "ortovent" nose balloons to equalise his ears. He had no idea as would just breath in!!!
So... As it was medically necessary we persevered....

We used a lit match, held very carefully by me or dh and showed him to blow it out like a candle. Then moved to him blowing it out with his nose (one nostril at a time....us holding one nostril closed then the other). After 2 sessions he could blow the match out with nose, the next day could blow the balloon up. Now he can blow his nose.
It's just the concept of blowing thru a nostril that is hard to get at first!

He thinks it is a great gamegrin

Littlefish Wed 12-Oct-11 21:57:00

Ok - prepare to feel sick! One of the most effective ways of teaching a child to blow out through their nose is to get a recorder and hold it in front of their nostrils. Demonstrate to them that if they blow out through their nose, the recorder will make a noise!

Believe me, children are usually desperate to play the "nose recorder" grin.

Obviously you will have to disinfect the recorder thoroughly afterwards!

Also, don't try and teach them when they've actually got a snotty nose, or it gets veeeeeeeeeery messy!

SazZaVoom Wed 12-Oct-11 21:59:06

Borrow my old CM? grin.

I never taught them but they seem to know how to, so suspect her superior teaching methods were applied. Ditto holding onto the buggy when crossing the road.

LadyMaybe Wed 12-Oct-11 22:45:32

I'm going to try the match trick. My DS used to be able to do this, when he was about 2, but he seems to have forgotten how now. Don't know why he would have forgotten because it's not like he hasn't had a cold since then hmm

MrsNoggin Wed 12-Oct-11 22:49:07

DD learnt by pretending to be a dragon breathing fire. It worked for us at 2yo... Maybe worth a try?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now