Talk

Advanced search

This is the most profound thing my 6 year old has ever said. What could she mean by it?

(7 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Mon 10-Oct-11 22:28:54

Hi, my daughter is 6.5 and has a developmental delay of approx 18 months. She is a happy friendly and loving little girl who is also very deep and sensitive. She often crys through empathy for others or even when listening to sad music. She does come out with some very profound things sometimes but tonight she said "Do you sometimes think you're just nothing?" I was really shocked. She didn't elabarate much at all and didn't seem unhappy, just thoughtful.
She's always liked to pretend to be other people. This can get quite obsessive at times.
She comes across as very confident with adults but more withdrawn and teerful with groups of children. (She's fine in very small groups of 2 or 3)
She is a very unusual child, and I just wondered what others made of this. What should I read into it?

MurderBloodstabsandgore Mon 10-Oct-11 22:33:09

I think you should stop thinking about it.

My DS is 4.8 and says things that worry me sometimes. If I try to push him, he'd rather talk about lego or something.

You could take it that she has turned into an existentialist philosopher, but she probably hasn't.

mummyloveslucy Mon 10-Oct-11 22:38:36

I'm just curious really. It doesn't worry me as I know she's happy. I'd just love to know what's going on in her litte head. I find her quite fascinating.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 10-Oct-11 22:43:37

Little children do say this sort of thing sometimes. One I've heard quoted as a family anecdote: 'Mummy, I dreamed I was nobody.... but then I woke up and found I was somebody!'

I wouldn't worry about it too much - sounds a bit Buddhist to me and they usually seem more than averagely ok with life!

Mouth Tue 11-Oct-11 14:28:25

I think, although a little melancholy, it's a fascinating thing for her to say. It shows she is thinking complicated thoughts and has a certain type of intelligence. She's obviously intelligent even if delayed.

I wouldn't read into it or worry about it too much though as children have these kind of thoughts - life, death, why we are here, etc. As long as she isn't constantly asking questions like that I'd just think her mind is wandering in a healthy sort of way...

mummyloveslucy Tue 11-Oct-11 21:10:36

Thanks everyone. smile It is quite encouraging as it does show intelligence. I'd like to think she's a bit of a philosopher. She's certainly an interesting little girl.

MumblingAndBloodyRagDoll Tue 11-Oct-11 23:55:43

My DD is 7 and quite immature in some ways but then will come out with things which make me stop...like your DDs comment.

Mine wonders about space and time a lot. I remember being about 6 and thinking about the universe and how miniscule we are compared to it....your DD may have some delays but she is obviously a deep thinker and that has many promising things to offer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now