Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pick your battles........how?

(5 Posts)
popadop Mon 10-Oct-11 09:42:48

I am struggling with choosing the battles I pick with my 9 year old son.

Sometimes [ok often] I know I go over the top when getting annoyed.

How do you choose your battles?

eg.

Told ds to take his school bag to the front door when he goes to get dressed. He didnt. and not for the first time,.

I know it is a stupid thing to get annoyed about but I can't help it....I am thinking if I don't get annoyed life would be easier, but will I be carrying the bag to the door til he's 18?

Sorry for the gabble.

nickschick Mon 10-Oct-11 09:46:11

Tomorrow if this is your 'battle' as soon as he is dressed remind him to take the bag,dont stop reminding him until he does it.....

As a mum of 2 teens it is little things that bother you angry my ds leave their bloody bedroom light on - why??angry.

Dh not understanding my wrath simply says 'switch it off?' as if hes saying something so helpfull grrrrrrrrrrr.

pozzled Mon 10-Oct-11 09:49:24

I think in this case I would have a chat with him when you're not rushed for time. Tell him that it's really annoying for you having to nag him, and it must be annoying for him as well. Can he suggest an alternative to help him remember it for himself- e.g. a note on the door, leaving his bag ready the night before? Maybe if he has to take responsibility himself you could avoid that particular battle. And what is the worst that could happen if he forgot it completely?

popadop Mon 10-Oct-11 09:50:20

Thanks for the reply.

I t is the little things, like every time he turns on the tv.....i say ''turn it down''

It is very tiring saying the same things over and over.

popadop Mon 10-Oct-11 09:51:51

poz...............I agree a chat is needed, I think sometimes it would be easier to do things myself but he needs to be independent as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now