Talk

Advanced search

Constant tantrums, what else can I do?

(5 Posts)
ScaredBear Sun 09-Oct-11 18:34:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyWord Sun 09-Oct-11 18:41:45

I have a 19mo DD who is EXACTLY the same. The screams!... sometimes they literally make my ears ring. Is she your first? I've been through the tantrum stage before with DS so I'm not really alarmed, but I do know it could last years quite a while - sorry grin

I've always found distraction works best as in "Oh DD what is THAT <points to passing aeroplane>/Oh no I've forgotten the snacks, come and get them with me" Or at this stage she will still fall for her favourite game "where is DD's nose/ears/chin/etc"

Only trouble is once you get riled and exhausted you can forget to do that, but it does usually work.

Also I know about this ignore the negative stuff but I don't ignore hitting - I say firmly "No DD no hitting" and remove whatever she's freaking out over.

ScaredBear Sun 09-Oct-11 18:48:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bettbb Sun 09-Oct-11 19:55:50

I would love to offer some words of wisdom, but I am just glad I'm not the only one. I consider myself a strong assertive individual, however I was reduced to silent tears of total frustration today on what was supposed to be a lovely family afternoon out. My DS of 32 months screamed as though I was trying to kill him while I
a) tried to put him on the potty (he was clearly desperate)
b) had the cheek to offer him some of his pasta/juice/garlic bread a cuddle!!!!
c) Tried numerous distractions

Everything met with high pitched screaming, nooooooooo and tears ( his and mine)and vigorous writhing. I'm ashamed to say he broke me.

The highlight came when he decided he would actually eat if he could sit on my lap, where, after two mouthfuls of scrummy penne, he emptied his entire bladder.

There are no words. Oh and all was aided by running parenting coaching from my Mum wine

BaronessBatsblood Sun 09-Oct-11 23:14:58

DS is also 19 months. I can cope with his tantrums, but what I can't cope with is DH not coping with DS's tantrums. He yells at him, swears, mutters under his breath, and just generally inflames the whole situation. I'm frequently left wondering which of the two to tackle first..... sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now