Talk

Advanced search

Getting 5 yr old DD to tidy room is like pulling teeth

(5 Posts)
emmajlh Sun 09-Oct-11 12:04:37

Please help!

My DD has been tidying up since she was about 18 months. She's never really minded and its always been a pre dinner/ bedtime routine. Since she was 3.5 yrs she moved into a bigger bedroom and we relocated a lot of her toys to her room as it had plenty of storage space.

This is where the problem started, she tends to get everything out and doesn't put one toy away to play with another so before you know it her bedroom floor is a sea of dolly clothes, books, happyland and her own clothes. She finds it far too overwhelming to tidy.

I've tried the following:

Tidying up together but then she gets distracted and plays whilst I'm doing all the tidying.

Using sticker charts and rewards

Doing it in short 10 minute bursts

Trying to make it a game eg ' pick up everything that's red, now everything that's blue etc.'

Screaming at the top of my lungs (never works and just gets us both upset)

I'm at the end of my tether. I'm tempted to get rid of some stuff as in theory it will be easier to tidy if there is less stuff but she still genuinely enjoys playing with everything. She had a small bday party the other day and I said 'no gifts' as she has so much. Everyone still bought gifts!

Please help, there must be some experienced mums out there who can offer some advice.

madrose Sun 09-Oct-11 12:10:09

We brought a load of boxes with lids and allocated a box for each type of toy e.g Lego, peppa pig, barbies, baby stuff etc. Then started a rule that before something else came out, a box of things had to go away. My dd found it easier to tidy up when the allocated box was on the floor next to the toys. Also it kept all the buts together - even her friends are use to this system now.

Sleepglorioussleep Sun 09-Oct-11 18:14:18

I sit on dd's bed and direct her which thing to put away next. She is like me and finds tidying bewildering and difficult. I set a timer for me to tidy to. Dd likes her room tidy and for now telling get exactly what to do is marginally better than doing it myself!

Sleepglorioussleep Sun 09-Oct-11 18:16:00

Also, get a big box and when she's out if the way, remove a few toys. When she asks they can come back, but it is rare for dd to actually notice

emmajlh Mon 10-Oct-11 14:47:47

Thanks for these! I think I will try and sneak some toys out of her room. We've got boxes with lids and labels on the side (pictures and words of content) but the motivation is just not there. Hopefully if i clear some things away, perhaps put them in the loft then it will be more managable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now