Talk

Advanced search

7 month old nowhere near being able to crawl?

(22 Posts)
boredbuthappy Fri 07-Oct-11 22:15:10

My DS will be 7 months old tomorrow and I'm pretty sure that he is never going to crawl. He may walk one day, but never crawl. He refuses to spend any time on his tummy (never been able to get much tummy time out of him) and if I do put him on his tummy he rolls over and carries on lying happily on his back. He can sit unaided, eating solids well, has quite an extensive jibberish vocabulary, so I am not worried that he's behind in developement...apart from this crawling business...
Has anyone's LO just never crawled and jsut gone straight on to walking? (Although I can't see how that's even possible!!)

Sleepwhenidie Fri 07-Oct-11 22:19:12

Perfectly normal....lots of babies don't crawl until 12m and plenty definitely skip the crawling stage altogether and go straight to walking. Relax smile

PelvicFloorOfAAAAARGHSteel Fri 07-Oct-11 22:19:31

DS1 didn't crawl until he was about 9 1/2 months, wasn't showing any signs of starting at 7 months, he also did front to back rolls so he never had to do tummy time.
Once he started crawling he then couldn't be arsed to walk and didn't start until he was 15 months.

I do know a couple of bottom shufflers and one commando crawler who never crawled properly, but the majority of babies do crawl first...eventually.

madhattershouse Fri 07-Oct-11 22:20:28

My oldest never crawled. He walked just before his 1st birthday. Tis normal smile

bruffin Fri 07-Oct-11 22:22:46

Ds only commado crawled at 8 months but then walked at 10months

fishcakefoxtrot Fri 07-Oct-11 22:24:29

DD didn't crawl until 13 months then walked at 15 months.

I think she only bothered to crawl in order to get herself over to the furniture to pull herself up and practise walking!

TheThunderboltKid Fri 07-Oct-11 22:24:40

DD didn't crawl until well after she walked. She started moving at about 10.5 months doing an odd half sitting movement with one leg behind her. She moved quite fast - wish I had videoed it at the time grin

2tired2bewitty Fri 07-Oct-11 22:29:39

Dd didn't crawl until she was 15 months. Enjoy having a baby who is still exactly where you left them when you need to nip out of the room for a moment grin

fortyplus Fri 07-Oct-11 22:31:37

ds2 bum shuffled from about 10 months - never did crawl. Now he's 16 and plays rugby, hockey etc. 7 months is quite young to crawl anyway.

Birdsnotbees Fri 07-Oct-11 22:33:43

DS went straight to walking, at 10 months.

7mo DD shows no sign of crawling but, like her brother, loves sitting and standing up (with help!).

Don't stress it. As my mother says, they all catch up in the end. It's not like anyone cares who crawled/walked/talked first by the time they start school...

boredbuthappy Fri 07-Oct-11 22:34:40

Hmmm, okay. It's just that he's eating loads and getting fatter and I've sort of been thinking that once he starts moving around he'll need these fat stores, but he just seems to want to stay put like a bump on a log! Even favourite toys just out of reach suddenly become 'unfavourited' and don't seem to tempt him to get off his arse!

DH suggested I should put some food jsut out of his reach and see if that tempts him enough shock....men

gobblygook Sat 08-Oct-11 19:47:26

Your post could have been about my DS! Although 7 months is young to crawl, and I didn't think about it then, when 8/9 months came, I started to wonder if he'd ever move...he had great sitting power, was really happy playing that way, loves his food, loads of jibberish/babble, could roll all over, but just never showed any interest in crawling...although he liked standing. He'd smile and roll onto his back and suck his thumb if we put him on his stomach...

Over the past few weeks he's got more and more 'edgy..' (LOL!) Reaching far for toys, moving his legs into different positions...and yesterday (10 months exactly) he bent both legs up underneath crawled one step forward, and five back! The same day that he also 'cruised' along the sofa two-three steps.

Honestly - the change comes quick.

DialMforMummy Sat 08-Oct-11 20:41:25

Same for me, DS was desperately static but finally decided to get on all fours at about 11 months or so. And almost straight away he pulled himself up and was cruising.
He'll crawl it when he's ready. Tell you DH to chill his boots. And IMO the little buddha look is adorable in children ( I am biaised, I have a little buddha myself)

ScaredBear Sat 08-Oct-11 20:56:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WaftyCrank Sun 09-Oct-11 21:39:25

My DS is nearly 7 months and loves being on his front but is showing no signs of crawling. He can, however, roll across a room faster than the speed of light so he doesn't really need to.

chocjunkie Sun 09-Oct-11 22:10:37

I don't know many babies who crawled at 7 month. DC1 crawled at 10 month (and walked at 15) and DC2 started crawling at 9 month.

lollystix Sun 09-Oct-11 22:50:34

Same as chocjunkie -I don't know any baby who crawled before 8m so I'd really stop worrying. Ds1 hated tummy time and just went straight to walking 13m, ds2 crawled about 12 months and walked at 17m, ds3 crawled at 11m and walked at 14m. Your boy sounds totally normal

RubyrooUK Sun 09-Oct-11 23:26:34

Agree with everyone else. My DS often no sign whatsoever of doing something for months, then learns it in one day. No sign of crawling at 7mo - and I mean none - then learnt to crawl in one day at 8mo, going from practice moves to scooting along in an afternoon. At 11mo, he could do two steps and no more unaided, then at 13mo, suddenly stood up and walked off taking around 30 steps in his first go.

So you just can't tell. Oh, he also hated his stomach and crawled from a sitting position, not from lying on his front. Don't worry, your baby will definitely be on the move at some point.

BaronessBatsblood Sun 09-Oct-11 23:30:07

DS never crawled. He never sat up either! When he finally got mobile it consisted of slithering around commando style, followed quickly by walking on his knees. Then one day, he just got up on his feet and walked normally and then learned to scale bookcases and climb out of his cot.

Pandemoniaa Sun 09-Oct-11 23:43:24

ds1 never really crawled. He just got up and started walking round the furniture, holding on, at about 10 months. ds2 crawled but only backwards from about 8 months but was walking unaided by 11 months - mainly because he was fed up with ds1 swooping down and pinching his toys, we reckoned.

dgd (now 9 months) is the only child I know who has crawled at 6 months. But while she could crawl, she couldn't sit up on her own. The sitting up arrived at 8 months when she went from crawling to sitting to pulling herself up and wandering round the furniture all in one day! She is now into everything so while it is wonderfully exciting when babies get mobile, they will make the most of it and have a positive radar for things they shouldn't have!

Your ds sounds as if he's developing perfectly normally, OP. 7 months is young for crawling but plenty of babies skip the crawling stage altogether anyway.

workshy Sun 09-Oct-11 23:46:59

my DD1 mysteriously moved around the room but no one ever saw her crawl -think she rolled but she was very private about it

just got up and walked at 11 months (while the MIL was looking after her and she took great deligt in ringing me at work to tell me) chunter chunter

PollyMorfic Sun 09-Oct-11 23:54:37

None of mine ever crawled, they just bum-shuffled from about 12 months onwards, then walked at 18 months or summat. Two of them now play competitive sport at quite a high level, so it didn't hold them back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now