Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

LO afraid of Dark/Shadows - anyone recommend a good book for a 3yr4mo old?

(12 Posts)
TettyLouBar Fri 07-Oct-11 13:06:11

She's afraid to get out of bed in the morning to have a wee and has been having accidents in the bed. (Potty next to bed for early morning if I'm not around) Only recently developed this fear and seems to be more afraid of shadows than the dark. Any suggestions?

AKMD Fri 07-Oct-11 13:22:58

Monsters Inc.? I know it's a film but there has to be a spin-off picture book around somewhere.

deliakate Fri 07-Oct-11 14:25:12

Its not specifically for this, but Owl Babies is good, because the little owls are in the dark and scared when their mummy isn't there, but she comes back.

Maybe you could try to address the underlying fear. There are lots of theories about why children are afraid of there being monsters etc in the dark/under the bed. Dr Spock is quite good on this.

AMumInScotland Fri 07-Oct-11 14:34:53

I love [[http://www.amazon.co.uk/Owl-Who-Was-Afraid-Dark/dp/1405210931/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317994418&sr=1-1 The Owl Who Was afraid of the Dark"

AMumInScotland Fri 07-Oct-11 14:36:01

The Owl Who Was afraid of the Dark

strandednomore Fri 07-Oct-11 14:39:24

STupid question but she does have a night light I presume?

TettyLouBar Fri 07-Oct-11 19:33:37

She has a pink flower light that she can switch on on her own in the mornings. and she normally stays in her room for the 10-15 mins it takes for the sun to "come up" on her gro clock. (she looks at books and plays with her soft toys and I never hear her - she's an angel in that respect)
She made me turn the light off completely on the gro clock because it was next to her bed and shone on the wall and she frightened herself with her own shadow when she sat up.
She sleeps in the complete darkness as she doesn't like the shadows things make when a night light is on.
She a funny little thing really - its not the dark so much as the shadows and her wild imagination. But I really don't see my chances of finding a book about children who are afraid of shadows. Its a bit of a predicament really! confused

Last night she woke at 2am, needed a wee, got out and switched on the flower light and it cast a shadow in the wall. She panicked, wee'd on the floor and then hid in her wardrobe crying until I went in because I woke up and heard her crying. sad Bless her.

rhetorician Fri 07-Oct-11 21:03:46

Darkness Slipped In - a really great book, which I imagine would help your dd to handle shadows (in the book they are darkness dancing with the little girl)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3407456-darkness-slipped-in

Can't You Sleep Little Bear also a good book about shadows and being scared ot the dark. Also a classic

TettyLouBar Sat 08-Oct-11 13:11:34

Thanks Rhetorician just ordered Darkness Slipped In so we'll see how it goes. Looks good smile

rhetorician Sat 08-Oct-11 14:23:42

it's one of my favourites; my dd is a bit smaller than yours, but loves it too. Good luck

pranma Sun 09-Oct-11 17:45:24

I'm not scared
One of the baby owl books like I'm not cute
I've forgotten who wrote it but it is a very gentlr reassuring story.I also second cant you Sleep little Bear

Blackpuddingbertha Sun 09-Oct-11 20:51:39

We had a similar problem with DD1 a while back (also have gro clocks), we got her through it by spending some time deliberately making shadows on the wall, bed, ceiling etc. using hands, teddies etc. Sort of turned it into a game but got her to understand how the shadows were made. It worked for us but could make it worse (some shadow shapes are scary!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now