Talk

Advanced search

3 year old obsessed with automatic doors!!

(6 Posts)
Bonnybloomin Fri 07-Oct-11 08:59:46

My 3 year old is obsessed with automatic doors, he loves going shopping and would rather do that than go to the park. He wants to go in the lifts, and just stands and watches the doors open and close. If I give him "normal" toys to play with he turns them into automatic doors and pretends! If we are out for the day, he is constantly looking for automatic doors, took him to the zoo was not interested one bit in the animals just wanted to go back to the cafe to watch the doors! He is very sociable otherwise, but im worried that he wont mix with other children the same, has anyone else had this problem. This has been going on since he was old enough to walk.

LizzieMo Fri 07-Oct-11 18:21:21

With my friends son it was washing machines. Totally obsessed at 3, got really excited by the final 'fast' spin. He is now a perfectly normal 19 year old . I would not worry too much!!!

Arrogantcat Fri 07-Oct-11 20:42:39

It sounds like a simple quirk.

Hanoigal Fri 07-Oct-11 20:59:22

Sounds like my ds. He started to like lifts abour 18 months and has continued to be obsessed ever since (he is 3 next week.) On wet days I take him to the airport (I live nearby) and we go up and down the lifts, in and out of the automatic doors and up and down the escalators. Everywhere we go he looks for lifts and he has an incredible nose for where they might be in places he has never been before. I sense he is just starting to get a bit bored now. Probably because he is becoming obsessed with trains instead ... grin

Alicious Fri 07-Oct-11 22:15:23

My DS1 (3.9) is similar! He loves-bus doors. Not buses, but bus doors. The high points of his day are getting on and off the school bus! I despair when I ask him what he liked best at school and the response is 'the door of the bus.' He makes EVERYTHING into a bus (with a door)-the sofa, cardboard boxes, the floor of his little brother's playpen...
But at school he seems to be fairly normal-has friends who don't (surprisingly) share his obsession and plays well with them. I don't worry too much about it-today he told me that he doesn't know if he wants to be a bus driver anymore because his driver told him that the pay was rubbish smile

calypsoblue Sat 08-Oct-11 15:25:51

my son 3.5 is obsessed with lights, electricals,Alarm systems,sprinklers and smoke detectors he spots them everywhere and we have to wait whilst he inspects them in detail, Maybe too much fireman sam hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now