Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal for 4yr old to be SO tired after school?

(12 Posts)
Hopintobed Thu 06-Oct-11 20:15:00

Just a quick one. DS is 4 and recently started full time shool a couple of weeks ago. He used to go to nursery school five mornings a week and still sometimes would come home and have an afternoon nap though not every day.

Since starting full time he is exhausted. He comes home and is sometimes able to play and chat but other days like yesterday he just wanted to flop in front of the TV which I hate! He's soooo tired! Is it normal and will he adjust?

He goes to bed at 7:30 and sleeps through til 7am.

nancy75 Thu 06-Oct-11 20:18:17

My dd was the same, i think it really takes until at least half term for them to get used to it.

13lucky Thu 06-Oct-11 20:38:17

My dd is still like this now and she is in Year 1!! (but a July baby)

Tgger Thu 06-Oct-11 20:40:44

Put him to bed earlier- 6.30 for a while at least! Think it's pretty normal- is he quite young in the year? DS has definitely got more stamina over the last year, he's 5 in October, he's not so bad after school, but he's in bed 6.45 most nights, 7.30 is late night weekend (gets up at 7 too).

PattySimcox Thu 06-Oct-11 20:41:44

Yes DD would often fall asleep in the car on the 10 minute journey home

An0therName Thu 06-Oct-11 22:04:58

yup very normal - even in Y1 first few weeks DS didn't want to do much - I think slightly earlier bed time well

Dumbledoresgirl Thu 06-Oct-11 22:06:41

Yes, very normal, and ime it gets worse and worse leading up to Christmas, but then gets better.

Hopintobed Fri 07-Oct-11 17:58:08

Yes he is an August baby and the youngest in the class so I think that may be making a difference. He is fine today and wanted to go out on his scooter once he got in and then play with play dough with me but sometimes he comes in and is just knackered. So knackered that I think he might be ill or coming down with something but I think it's just exhaustion!

Every other kid seems to come leaping out of school where as I have to gee him up just to get him home! I feel bad if I put him to bed early because he spends so much time away from us at school and 3 days a week I work til 5:30 so I feel like I barely see him as it is sad. I know I see him all the other days and spend all weekend with him. I think I will have to move his bedtime to 7pm from 7:30 at first just to see if it makes a difference. Thank you anyway, I am pleased it's relatively normal!

mumeeee Fri 07-Oct-11 20:17:16

Yes normal for a 4 year old who had just started school.
It's also normal for an 11 year old to be very tired after starting High School.

mrsbaffled Mon 10-Oct-11 10:51:43

My DS was like this too. He also got quite naughty for a month or so, but his bahaviour improved when became less tired.

DaveGrohlsgirl Mon 10-Oct-11 10:53:59

Yes normal.............DD was an August baby and did mornings only for half a term........still fell asleep during her lunch every day!!

Kewcumber Mon 10-Oct-11 11:16:25

I'm surprised that its a surprise for you! Surely you remember how exhausting it is starting a new job - you don't know where anything is or how anything works, or who anyone is. It's exhausting. And its much worse when you're four.

My nearly six year old gambles out of school at the beginning of term and would look to someone who doesn't know him absolutely fine and not at all tired but they don't see the tantrums and tears for the first couple of weeks until he settles down again.

Be aware that when they get used to it, all is fine for a while then toawrds the end of term it all starts deteriorating again...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now