Talk

Advanced search

Welcome to tantrum city....11 month old

(7 Posts)
Mcyorkshire Thu 06-Oct-11 09:51:31

My previously very content 11 month old ds has suddenly started having what seem to be huge tantrums throughout the day whenever he doesn't get what he wants immediately. He bangs his head on the floor and goes all stiff and screams.... Help

smearedinfood Thu 06-Oct-11 12:51:09

I had one of those - distract - distract - distract. Just pick em up and move him along to something that will interest him. I'm reading The Happiest Toddler on the Block but I think that's for when he is older.

tinkerbelleworkshop Thu 06-Oct-11 14:09:12

My DD is exactly the same. If distractions dont work, just ignore her. DH refuses to do this with DD and she will scream and flop about for what feels like a lifetime as she is getting attention! If she is ignored, she soon gets bored, gets up and starts to play with something.

Mcyorkshire Thu 06-Oct-11 14:57:18

Thanks all....he just seems so cross and frustrated all the time! I think we'll stick with ignoring the tantrums and distracting where possible..It is hard though especially when he tantrums that much he hurts his head on the floor! Hopefully it's a stage he'll get through x

thesurgeonsmate Thu 06-Oct-11 15:07:58

Yes, I thought these weren't tantrums because it was "too early" but I changed my mind the other day when 16 mth dd started hitting the oven door with her batter-covered whisk in fury because I put the cake she had just "made" into the oven. I just hadn't realised how much she was enjoying making it, I guess... Distraction was "Let's wipe up this mess" and when she wanted to do that with about six and a half rolls of kitchen paper I just let her. Had learnt my lesson.

smearedinfood Thu 06-Oct-11 22:15:45

Tough aye! I've heard lots about baby signing to avoid tantrums but kinda think it's just another thing to spend money on and how do I know it would delay attempting speech..

matana Fri 07-Oct-11 09:19:19

Sympathies here, my 10.5 month DS is the same - though it's usually limited to when he's particularly tired. But because he spends a lot of time at the CM he's been quite tired recently. He'll literally go from smiles and giggles one minute to tears and legs/ arms thrashing the next. Our approach is to ignore if we're in the middle of something or distract with another interesting object or silly face. Usually works. It's a perfectly normal phase because they are easily frustrated that they cannot articulate their particularly strong feelings other than crying/ tantruming. Someone else has mentioned baby signing - not sure myself, but many people swear by it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now