Talk

Advanced search

thumb sucking!!!

(2 Posts)
Jen22210 Wed 05-Oct-11 21:20:30

My little man is 19 months and is unfortunately a habitual thumb sucker! He is making it very sore and is now on antibiotics for paronychia in the nail. Would love to find a way of getting him to give up but think he is too young to understand. Just very worried about more dammage he is going to inflict on himself.
Any help and advice would be great!

kelloo1 Wed 05-Oct-11 22:01:37

My DS is 2.7 and he sucks his fingers, he has done since he was a few weeks old. He only tends to do it when he is tired or relaxing but sucks them really hard and he now has hard lumps on his fingers. I was worried it would affect his teeth or speech but the HV said just to let him do it. Not very good advice in my opinion! But it does seem the more we try to distract him from it the more he does it. We are hoping he will grow out of it, it's a bit embarassing when strangers in the street comment on it. Even if he does stop, he now has nobbly bobbly fingers. I don't really have any advice but will be watching to see if anyone else has.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now