Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My DD 4 bit me very very hard, and I don't really know the best way to deal with the situation

(4 Posts)
OnEdge Wed 05-Oct-11 12:02:29

My DD 4 was being naughty, and I ended up insisting that she went up to her room, she refused, so I had to pick her up to carry her. She started kicking and shouting, trying to get out of my arms and then she sunk her teeth in. I really really hurt, and I am left with an awful bruise on my arm.

Immediately after, she was very upset and kept shouting how sorry she was down the stairs and that she loved me very much. When we had all calmed down, I let her back down stairs and just carried on. I wanted the situation to calm down because I have a 1 and a 2 year old and I didn't want them getting upset. Also, I was so shaken that I went into a calm mode to ensure that I didn't do anything in heat of the moment that I may regret.

I havn't really addressed it since and I am wondering whether to just let it pass now. My Mum said she wants to have a talk with her about how wrong it was etc. It is totally out of character for her, her behaviour is usually pretty good, and she is a kind natured girl.

Any ideas ??

An0therName Wed 05-Oct-11 12:16:25

well I don't think your mum should talk to her - but may it would be worth you having a chat - sounds like she knew straightaway it was wrong and was sorry - so maybe something fairly gentle - you know when you bit me etc etc

Mouth Wed 05-Oct-11 12:47:50

My DS did this when he was about 3.5. It really hurt, it was on my arm. I had to throw him off me, just onto the sofa. I really screamed with pain. I think my natural reaction (the scream) scared him more than shouting or a smack could have. I had to leave the room and go into another room to let off steam. I walked around the house a bit and calmed myself down. After a while I went and had a chat with him about how it was wrong to bite. He's never done it again since. He has occasionally done little 'nips' for fun if we've been playing (he likes playing sharks at the pool for instance) but nothing like that time. I don't think your mum should talk to her, unless she keeps doing it. If she knew it was wrong straight away, that's a sign she's not likely to keep it up. Hope not anyway, as it REALLY hurts!

OnEdge Wed 05-Oct-11 22:31:38

Thanks for your thoughtful replies. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I felt too emotionally involved to deal with it, and almost went into child mode myself with my Mum coming to my rescue. I am getting over it now. I was surprised at how much it affected me, made me down for a couple of days. mouth your reaction sounds pretty similar to mine. I find myself having to act like an adult a lot since I have become a parent, its times like this that make me feel vulnerable and real again. I'm a bit of a dafty really, so I have to pretend to be all sensible, it doesn't come naturally to me like it does for some. Some parents seem to know instinctively how to deal with these situations, I have to try and work it out grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now